HELP w/GFCI 120-125v

v194

Joined Feb 4, 2010
Have two kitchen outlets with GFCI that are passing full current but the "test-reset" is not working so I thought I should replace them. The old units are in a horizontal layout installed in a vertical pattern so I replaced them with the correct vertical units.
I carefully hooked them up just as the old ones were hooked up. Black to hot or brass screw and white to silver screw and ground to green. Turned on the power and nothing. I thought I may have switched the "Line - Load" so I carefully switched one black/white pair with the other black white pair of wires. Still nothing.
Using a tester I am getting 120v on one outlets white wires (one tester probe on one white wire and the other probe on the other white wire) Black to Black shows 3-4V.
The other receptacle shows 2-4V on any cross of wires.
What the heck is going on and what did I miss?:eek:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Having 120 VAC between the whites would indicate a miswire. Is there a green or bare ground wire present? One reason why the GFCI test button did not work would be explained by the absence of a ground.

Having the ground is necessary for safety, plus you can check voltages against it to resolve the odd readings on the other wiring. Unless something is really wrong, the black wires should be hot, and there should be no voltage on the whites.