Help understanding schematic

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by shakey_slim, Sep 6, 2009.

1. shakey_slim

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I'm trying to figure out how to read this schematic. Could somebody here help me out on this? I'm a complete beginner at electronics, and I can't make sense of what this is saying.

Where I'm getting stuck is where do V- and V+ come from? To me, the diagram looks like (V-, for example) the capacitor connects to the rectifier (-) and grounds to the (+). Does V- just come off of the rectifier (-), bypassing the capacitor?

2. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
  3. shakey_slim

Jun 26, 2009
    Thanks for the pointer. That page helps a lot.

The problem I'm having is trying to visualize how this circuit would be built. It's the translation from drawing to actual construction I'm getting stuck on.

This is what I see when I look at the schematic. To me, it looks like I'd be bypassing the caps.

4. shakey_slim

Jun 26, 2009
    Still don't see it.

I've built this circuit as DC using four 9v batteries in series. It made sense to me then to run the negative lead from the batteries to -V, and the positive lead to +V. Of course, I didn't have to deal with the capacitors or rectifier. This gave me roughly -18v to -V, and +18v to +V.

I just can't see how the capacitor is physically wired into the circuit. I would think that (-V, for example) the negative end of the rectifier is soldered on to the negative lead of the capacitor, and the positive lead of the cap is -V (see image).

I think I've posted this in the wrong forum. This is my own project, not homework or class work. The battery setup I built works fine, but eats 9v's pretty fast. I'd like to convert it to AC.

5. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    The pdf illustrates the current flow from negative to positive for each half-cycle on the sine wave.

Let me know if that clears things up for you.

You are correct on the negative side of the capacitor in the negative supply must be connected to the negative output.

6. shakey_slim

Jun 26, 2009
    Ah! I think I have it now!

I was ignorant of the current flow. I can see now how the current flows through the capacitors to supply -V and +V for each half cycle.

Thanks! This is a great forum!