Help understanding operators and implementation

Damp48

Joined Jun 8, 2011
hi this is my first post here, i've been lurking for a few months. I need help with a logic implementation

The problem says to find the non-standard form with the minimal number of operators fuction is:

F = x'zw+xz'w+z'y'z'w'+xy'zw

I used a kmap to see how it would look, but noticed there are 2 ways of doing it i believe, if the function could be different but with this function. I got :

F = xw(z'+y')+X'(zw+y'z'w')

this is the right answer from a solution i have BUT i fail to see how it becomes 9 operators.

WHen i count these i get 3 OR's, 4 AND's, 6 NOT's. I know i am doing something wrong but my book does not explain any further when it comes to figuring out how many operators. I tried doing the implementations but do not see how they get 9 operators.

See the attachments.

Attachments

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
You must first have in mind some implementation hints:
F=xw(z'+y')+x'(zw+y'z'w')
=xw(zy)'+x'(zw+(y+z+w)')

We are thus using one NAND gate ((zy)') and one NOR gate ((y+z+w)') to reduce the NOT gates. In total we have:
1 NOT
2 2-input AND
1 3-input AND
1 2-input NAND
1 3-input NOR
2 2-input OR
SUM=8 gates

So, um... yes... 8 gates. Why not?

But this is not the best solution by a long shot, because those gates come in IC's in packs of 4 or 3. If you use one 3-input AND, you must bring another two along, so you are better off with more gates but of the same type.

Damp48

Joined Jun 8, 2011
ohh wow thank you so much. I see its with de morgan's theorem that should have been obvious, I've been breaking my head with this all day. It all makes sense now. Thank you.

Damp48

Joined Jun 8, 2011
You must first have in mind some implementation hints:
F=xw(z'+y')+x'(zw+y'z'w')
=xw(zy)'+x'(zw+(y+z+w)')

We are thus using one NAND gate ((zy)') and one NOR gate ((y+z+w)') to reduce the NOT gates. In total we have:
1 NOT
2 2-input AND
1 3-input AND
1 2-input NAND
1 3-input NOR
2 2-input OR
SUM=8 gates

So, um... yes... 8 gates. Why not?

But this is not the best solution by a long shot, because those gates come in IC's in packs of 4 or 3. If you use one 3-input AND, you must bring another two along, so you are better off with more gates but of the same type.
sorry i just realized they actually want 9 operators. currently trying to find how to get it there.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I noticed that you wanted 9 operators, but I though a better solution would be more acceptable.
There's no reason you would want to do it with 9, apart from some professor's inexplicable fixations.

You can always separate the 3-input AND to get the result you want. Can you guess what will you break it into?

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
It may well be the case that the function

F = x'zw+xz'w+z'y'z'w'+xy'zw

cannot be minimised further than

F=wx'z+wxz'+w'y'z'+wy'z

for the SOP form.

I'd be interested to find out.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
This SOP form needs 4 NOT gates and 5 3-input NAND gates to be implemented. 9 gates in 3 IC's in total.

The solution I suggested in post #2 needs 8 gates but 6 IC's.

Guess which is better?

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Hi Georacer,

Did you check that the original

F = x'zw+xz'w+z'y'z'w'+xy'zw posted by Damp48

and the subsequent

F=xw(z'+y')+x'(zw+y'z'w') you posted [as per Damp48's reduction]

are logically equivalent?

I'm not sure they are.