Help troubleshooting old radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
WOW. Where did you get that photo of the batteries?????? I have been looking for the battery in the top left hand corner for years. Do you know if they are still available? I have an old WW2 mine detector (metal detector) that needs a 90V battery.
Sadly I've looked for them too, have an old Zenith radio that used one. Most people have made simple 90V plug-in supply replacements but others wanting to maintain the portability (or in this case authentic look) have gone to connecting 10 regular 9V batteries together.

http://www.dialcover.com/components.html

I think you can still find the 22.5V batteries, 4 of those would work but they aren't capable of nearly as much current and cost a lot more than 9V batteries which, if I recall, can now be found as rechargeable.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
As far as the radio not picking up well it's probably way out of tune by now. First of all you need to clean up the air variable capacitor and make sure none of the plates are bent such that one might contact another. There are usually small trimmer caps on these air variables too which may need to be tweaked for the best response.

The IF transformers will have drifted as well, find a set of plastic tuning tools (MCM or Jameco should still sell them) and carefully tune each coil for the maximum output on a weak station. The IF transformers will probably be double cored - there will be another core under the top one you have to get at by using the hex tool that has a short hex end then a thin round part after it so it won't turn the outer tuning slug at the same time.

Given enough pictures and finidng the proper "old radio collector's" website somebody's going to know who made it and in time they'll probably figure out a model # too. My guess is it's a Grundig by looks and probably a bit older than you might think.

Any German words on any of the components?

bob808

Joined Oct 20, 2010
Well it is written Made in England near the right knob. Atm it's working, but I'm picking one station, witch is the most important here. So they have a powerful broadcast. I checked the plates and they are indeed touching at some point. I also found 2 coils that I think they have trimmer caps. As well there's another set of trimmers to wich I have access thru some holes into a metal plate. I will try to fine tune them on a weak station. thank you very much for your responses.

@marshallf3 I posted a link for 45V batteries. here it is again:
http://www.tubesandmore.com/

Just search for "45 Volt" and it will turn up.

Magoo Lew

Joined Jul 31, 2015
WOW. Where did you get that photo of the batteries?????? I have been looking for the battery in the top left hand corner for years. Do you know if they are still available? I have an old WW2 mine detector (metal detector) that needs a 90V battery.

I know your post is older, but you may need to use two 45 volt batteries with a jumper between the two to get the 90 volts. The battery number is Eveready 455. You will have a difficult time finding the terminals to make the jumper. Hopefully you have one with the mine detector. Lew

Status
Not open for further replies.