Help troubleshoot my audio mixer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerberson12

Joined Mar 26, 2014
I have a Topaz 32 mixing console.
The regulated power supply has 4 wire output 48v +17v -17v and AGDN
The mixer has 3 leds lights for each output except -17v led is not turning on. Hence the mixer is not working and no output is coming out

As per manual if one is not working then there is an issue with your power supply

Here is what I notice.

If all the power output is connected to the mixing board, -17v led light is off and mixer will not work.

If I take out the AGND line, all the led lights turns on and the mixer will work fine.

Wondering what is wrong

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Can you show me some photo's.

And disconnecting GND might create other problems. You never disconnect GND, disconnect other lines only.

If the -17V line goes to 0 when it is connected then there could be a regulator issue or a shorted component in the mixer part.

Need to see your regulator area.

jerberson12

Joined Mar 26, 2014
Can you show me some photo's.

And disconnecting GND might create other problems. You never disconnect GND, disconnect other lines only.

If the -17V line goes to 0 when it is connected then there could be a regulator issue or a shorted component in the mixer part.

Need to see your regulator area.
attached is the closeup for the regulated power supply if thats what you need and some are the overall photos of the board

If there is shorted component, you think rebuilding is a good palce to start?

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
start by measuring the output of the psu using a DVM, without a load, then connect the psu to the mixer and check again, if the -17V is disappearing, then trace where it goes to on the mixer.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
That thing is huge. It would take a lot of time to find the fault.

The -17V regulator needs to be traced.
If the regulator is OK then it could be a cap or an OPamp

To check the OP AMPS the mixer PCB (Big (pcb)one screwed to the front panel needs to be removed)
And to make things worse they will be surface mount I think.

All you can do I think is check the regulator.

The third picture is the regulator I believe. Take that board and show some photo's so we can trace the -17V regulator.

U might need some dummy resistors to load the regulator to check if the regulators work when loaded.

First lets trace the regulator then check it for heat and overload shutting down issues

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Sorry to disappoint you but that thing is not for beginners repair work.
It's just too big to trouble shoot by looking at photo's u know.

It might be possible to isolate each area by disconnecting them and measuring the -17V voltage. But this is sometimes risky.

But if you are up to it, it might just be possible.

If the fault is located at the big PCB's you will need a hot gun (for the SMD's)

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
attached is the closeup for the regulated power supply if thats what you need and some are the overall photos of the board
If there is shorted component, you think rebuilding is a good palce to start?
It is an all linear regulator, so it should regulate ok with no load, a good starting point. Disconnect the ps from the rest of the board and measure all three outputs. If all are present, then...

This mixer is multiple identical subsections bussed together, so the odds are that most of it is ok and one section has a bad part. If everything really is tied together with ribbon cable as it looks, isolate the sections so only one at a time has power, and record the ps outputs. With a little luck, this will narrow the problem down to one section board, with all other sections able to run when connected together to the ps.

Please give us a photo of the top of the console so we can see what the sections do.

ak

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
start by measuring the output of the psu using a DVM, without a load, then connect the psu to the mixer and check again, if the -17V is disappearing, then trace where it goes to on the mixer.

Looks like several boards with connectors - may be possible to re-introduce one board at a time and see which one knocks out the PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.