Help to identify the components of Power Supply.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I have a power supply and I don't know what components are the ones I highlighted in the attached image.

Can someone help?

View attachment 110700

View attachment 110701
Don't feel too bad about not being able to identify surface mount parts. "Capacitor", I agree but with no value to recon."Transistor" could be transistor, diode, voltage reference, voltage regulator ... can't say if you can't read a number on it.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Look again. I can see something, even with the crappy photos.
What can you see on the 3 terminal part the TS circled?

There's a reasonably good chance of the 8 pin chip being a common industry standard part - if you can make out the base number, the prefix may not matter. Conversely - only a prefix could narrow the search down to the SMPSU range from a specific manufacturer.

If you end up with say; half dozen datasheets showing parts with different pin layouts, it becomes a multiple choice question. If you have to resort to hand tracing - its a lot easier than starting totally from scratch.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Don't feel too bad about not being able to identify surface mount parts. "Capacitor", I agree but with no value to recon."Transistor" could be transistor, diode, voltage reference, voltage regulator ... can't say if you can't read a number on it.
The 8 pin SOIC could be an industry standard SMPSU controller. Identification of the 'GND' pin and the one that drives the MOSFET gate is fairly easy. The Vcc pin can be harder to pin down - with just those pins it can be massively narrowed down to a small number of datasheets.

Occasionally; manufacturers pretty much copy the application example in the datasheet, so once you identify the right datasheet - tracing it out can be pretty easy.