Help to desing bullet proof Arduino power source...

AlexLPD

Joined Aug 22, 2010
Hi to all... Im currently developing some systems with arduino, and the meain reason of failures is due to electric noise, since I learn how to isolate the noise from the control boar using snubbers and varistors ...
(Thanks a lot for the help of this forum).

The next big deal is the power source, because even with the proper protection on the board, the main lines, can and have lots of noise.

I want to desing a power source near bullet proof, with a good filtration and protection of transcient voltages, and 110/220. Capability.

I design an overly big filter for a cellphone type adapter... but it dont offer a very good filtration.
This is the filter;
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/help-with-simulation-on-arduino-vcc-filter.106912/

So I start by thinking in using a regular transformer to have some protection from transients... next to add a bridge rectifier with capacitors to filter some noise in the raw state and after that using a LM317 to have a proper filtration to 7Vcc... and after that a good and large capacitive filter...

I think the power source will be good from 230 to 90VAC due to the 10:1 relation of transformation... this will provide me with a 23 to 9 VAC good to be used on the diode bridge and after in the regulator stage...

I need 6 to 7 VCc for the arduino to work properly.

I have this in mind... Sorry if made some mistakes, I have no formal electronics background.

The C1 and C2.. ceramics... 50Vac and 0.475uF or smaller?

Thanks in advance.

-Alex.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The noise that is bothering the Arduino is not coming from the AC line; it is self generated, usually when the Arduino is used to switch highly inductive loads like relays, solenoids, motors, etc. Those problems are usually not much helped by additional "filtering"; rather by use of isolated power supplies for the loads, using opto-isolation, snubbers on the inductive stuff, understanding single-point grounding, keeping the low-level wiring separate from the high-power wiring, etc, etc....

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
Just a couple of initial thoughts..

You have no smoothing capacitor between the bridge and the LM317.

You can't use a linear power supply for universal AC input voltages. With 230VAC input you'll get going on 30VDC plus on the input of your LM317. Pull 1A from your power supply and that's over 20W which will make your LM317 scream without a substantial heatsink.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
DO NOT PUT C1 WHERE YOU DREW IT. It will probably (literally) explode.

Most of the caps you drew belong where C2 is. Consult the data sheets for the LM317 for recommended bypassing. Then tell you the current draw of your load and we can help you size the bulk cap (C2).

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Seriously I would think about what MikeML covered in post #2.

On a less serious note if you really want some bullet proof LM317s I can sell you a few. They employ the use of a special space age coating that forms a sort of bullet proof vest for components. It's a proprietary design, however, as can be seen in this unaltered picture it works quite well.

LM317 Bullet Proof.png

Ron

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Seriously I would think about what MikeML covered in post #2.

On a less serious note if you really want some bullet proof LM317s I can sell you a few. They employ the use of a special space age coating that forms a sort of bullet proof vest for components. It's a proprietary design, however, as can be seen in this unaltered picture it works quite well.

View attachment 80654

Ron
Nice, is that an Internet clip or your own? 317 is dated 1979!