HELP: Timing Light circuit improvement

Joined Nov 30, 2010
After you get this thing making nice, sharp, pulses of light, you might experiment with using less than 91 ohms in the LED strings. This will brighten up the LEDs and they can cool down between flashes. Keep the 91 ohm resistors or something convenient like 100 ohms or 120 ohms until you get it running right. I'm thinking about 60 ohms will be the final value. 56 ohms, 62 ohms, 68 ohms...somewhere in that range.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
OK IL try to get some resistors since it doesn't cost that much. So I should get a 10v zener or 16volt right?
The gate of the mosfet drops dead at 20 volts, and the performance curves tell me you need to allow at least 10 volts, so anywhere from 10V to 20V will work. Whatever you have in stock.;)

solac

Joined Aug 13, 2015
OK so I have tested this thing out. The trimpot seems to be working it has lessened the sensitivity of the inductive pick up. Now when the pick up is near the distributor it just has a weak strobing light. When I place the clamp at the high tension wire the strobe is more visible. The downside is the light is weak. IL try to replace the 91ohm resistor to the ones you suggested and see of the light will be brighter. I was just wondering if I lessen the coils on the pick up would that also lessen sensitivity?

solac

Joined Aug 13, 2015
OK so here's the results. I had to turn the volume all the way up. It seems like even if the light starts blinking even if the inductive pick up is no where near the no. 1 high tention wire is normal. i turned the trimpot all the way up because it was affecting the brightness of the led. i noticed a sudden flash when i attach the inductive pick up on high tension no.1. i then tried to change the 91 ohm resistor to 62 ohm and i think i did see the timing mark but you have to concentrate hard to see it. then i changed the resistor to 56 ohm and this time i did see the timing mark, it was a bit blurry but i saw it. This timing light does work. but i guess it is best suited for motor cycles where you can closely put the led on the crankshaft pulley where the timing mark is. in my case im am using it on a honda civic where the engine compartment is cramped so i couldn't really put the led as close to the pulley as i can. since we added more leds it was able to shine brighter. :)

wonder if the other schematic that i attached would be the same? :)

thank you very much #12 :)