Help SteamPunking a 360's LED's

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by RaiderBlaide, Jun 17, 2012.

1. RaiderBlaide

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Ok, I am relatively new to this circuits and soldering thing but for a start I am not doing too bad. I have got the disk drive set up on a toggle switch(serious accomplishment for me). However I have to flip the switch twice to get a response from the disk drive. I am moderately okay with that but what I want to do is change the player and the xbox on LED's to "mad scientist bulbs" which require much more power than an LED. What I would like to know is how I can up to power flow through those particular electrical connectors or if there is a way that I can use an external power source, say a computer power supply, while still having the lights cue on when appropriated by the xbox? Please if any of you have an idea of this feel free to email me at <SNIP>. Looking forward to your answers.:D

Also if you have a fix for the disk drive to toggle open and closed that would be nice. I feel like its something easy but im not sure.

FΔTƩ

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2012
  2. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    first off, the "disc drive" eject button is a momentary contact switch that is normally open, so if your toggle switch just closes the contacts and stays there then that is where your issue is, you can use a momentary/return to center toggle switch.

and what do you mean mad scientist bulbs? And what "lights" are you trying to mod? The front indicator LED's? Those are not always "on" the system actually pulses those at a certain frequency to make them seem lit all the time (same for the controller LED's, which is useful for modding it for rapid fire :) )

3. RaiderBlaide

Jun 17, 2012
    im assuming by momentary/return to center toggle switch you mean one that is basically just a button but it appears to be a toggle switch...?

yes the leds on the front of the 360. by mad scientist bulbs i mean a long bulb with a large defined filament. think frankenstein. but... what you described seems like a serious flaw in my plan. Do you have any ideas to get these bulbs hooked up at power while only calling on the motherboard for which one should be lit and when?

4. RaiderBlaide

Jun 17, 2012
    I suppose i should also ask about the power button. I have been wanting to get it set up with a knife switch. Is it possible?

5. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    Use the knife switch to trigger a long one-shot pulse.

Do you mean this type of bulb?

[​IMG]

6. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    power button is also just a momentary contact switch, replacing it with a knife switch would be like holding the button in all the time....... I would do as KJ6EAD suggests, but the one shot pulse circuit must also provide that one shot pulse to turn the console off when the knife switch is opened....

7. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    You could probably get away with connecting something like this through a solid state relay that operates at the voltage levels put out by the pulse of the LED circuit, which I believe is 3.3 volt, I am sure the pulsing would have little or no affect on the AC side of the solid state relay....... but now you are gonna be also wiring AC if you used "old fashioned" incandescent lamps.....

8. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    And here is the circuit diagram for the ROL (Ring of Light)
    rol_schematic.png

9. RaiderBlaide

Jun 17, 2012
    ok, what you are saying makes sense to me, kind of, but i feel like i have come up with a simpler solution. I have chosen to connect a larger LED to those circuits which I then put inside the shell of a bulb that I will be painting white to give it that nice old yellow look. I have also decided for my power switch to use a momentary switch on the inside of the case. to trigger it i have a drawstring connected to a washer that pulls through the case. it resembles this

drawstringbead---------------case------switch-washer

i feel that this gives it the rustic look that i was looking for and i have figured out all the places i need to solder. I do appreciate the help and I just got an xbox from a friend that has the RROD so I may venture in to the more complex solutions you proided with that.

Thankyou guys. I know have a minor bit of knowledge about circuitry.

PS where can i start learning to read those schematics? I dont know what the hell that link you provided me says lol, but I love to learn.

10. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    Larger LED's can draw more current than those already on there, you could possibly burn out part of the circuit.