Help specifying a replacement transformer

Qwiksilvr

Joined Oct 9, 2016
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to repair an electronic motor controlled massage table which has stopped working.

Looking over the fairly basic control board, two diodes and the bridge rectifier have seemingly failed open.

Looking over the transformer, the primary winding isn't showing any continuity and there's a very low AC voltage detected on the secondary winding when powered. Presumably it's at least partly to blame for the problem.

I can find replacement diodes and the bridge rectifier easy enough, but I'm having trouble locating a replacement transformer. The code noted on the unit is HWX-66-36-01 which unfortunately doesn't reveal any replacement sources. The attached sticker states an input of 220V (50Hz) and an output of 24V, ultimately driving a 24V DC 3.5A motor. The transformer itself is fairly small (65 x 65 x 55mm).

There seems to be a massive plethora of transformers out there capable of meeting the 220V-24V part of the step down, however I'd be very grateful for some guidance narrowing the choices down a little in terms of the spec I'd need.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Farnell has CTFCS100-24U rated at 2A.

A larger transformer CTFCS200-24U is rated at 4A but no longer stocked. You can contact Farnell and see if they can supply it.

Both transformers come with two secondary windings. For a bridge rectifier, you will need to connect the two windings in parallel, making sure to wire them in phase.

How many secondary windings are on the original transformer?
Can you post a photo of the transformer, showing the leads or connections?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I'd be asking myself "Why did the tranny, diodes and bridge rectifier fail?". You don't want to replace them, only to have them fried when you switch on. Have you tested the motor for shorted windings?

Qwiksilvr

Joined Oct 9, 2016
Many thanks for the rapid replies. NB: I've checked the fuse in the fuse holder (and the holder itself).

Pics as requested:

Qwiksilvr

Joined Oct 9, 2016
I'd be asking myself "Why did the tranny, diodes and bridge rectifier fail?". You don't want to replace them, only to have them fried when you switch on. Have you tested the motor for shorted windings?
Unfortunately I don't have my power supply with me to give the motor a powered test. The motor itself is connected with a 4 pin DIN plug, getting a resistance of 0.4 between two pins and 5.1 between the other two.