Help setting up speakers.

droggie

Joined Oct 21, 2012
I got this subwoofer and two speakers today. Is it possible to hook them up to my laptop? Also I purchased a 15V DC adapter and it says it should not draw anything over 1000ma. Is this dangerous if I run it? Because 15V= 15000 mA. Shouldn't the rating nothing over 15000mA not 1000?

Attachments

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
1000 mA equals 1 amp, so your adapter is rated for 1 A at 15 V, which is equal to 15 watts. It also looks like the woofer needs a power supply and the two other speakers need a power supply. Do you have two supplies? Or are the two speakers already connected and you are adding the woofer?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I believe you are mistaken about the 15V adapter. 15 volts is not current, it is not milliamps. Current is measured seperately from voltage. In this case, 15 volts times 1000 ma = 15 watts.

and yes, you can connect the speakers to your laptop computer, but the results will probably be useless unless the speakers come equipped with their own, private amplifiers.

Oh, wait...they do. Procede at full speed.

droggie

Joined Oct 21, 2012
I don't have a power supply for the speakers. I believe that the 14V port is if I want to use them without the woofer. How do I go about connecting the speakers and woofer to my laptop?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I don't have a power supply for the speakers. I believe that the 14V port is if I want to use them without the woofer.
That's probably correct. Follow the instructions on the rear of the woofer. Then connect the headphone output on the laptop to one of the inputs on the woofer. If that doesn't work, try the other input on the woofer.

If there's distortion, you may need to connect the output from the laptop to Input 1 on the right speaker and then connect the adjusted volumen output from the right speaker to the woofer.

droggie

Joined Oct 21, 2012
When I connect one of the inputs to my laptop with a 3.5mm headphone-to-3.5mm head phone jack, I get no volume. The left speaker is connected to the left speaker input. If you look at the speakers the left one says to right speaker and vice versa. And if you look at the input on the woofer, it is some sort of 8 pin female connection.

droggie

Joined Oct 21, 2012
No. I have no idea what it is called. The speaker power light does not come on. So either I need the additional 14V power supply, or both speakers have to be connected.

droggie

Joined Oct 21, 2012
I also noticed the speakers of MS15s and the Subwoofer is an MS30. I think they might be compatible, as long as the speakers have a power supply because they aren't the original speakers that come with the subwoofer.