Help Serial Port

Xeeshan Qureshi

Joined Jan 13, 2009
Hi!
I want to transmit and receive data on serial port (currently i'm working on a single PC with its Tx and Rx pins short). I'm using following program (in Turbo C), but to no use. Can anyone help me out with this code?

#include <bios.h>
#include<stdio.h>
#include<iostream.h>
#include <conio.h>
#define COM1 0
#define DATA_READY 0x100
#define SETTINGS ( 0xE0 | 0x08 | 0x00 | 0x03) //(baud_9600 | ODD_PARITY | COM_STOP1 | COM_CHR8)
int main(void)
{
clrscr();
int out, status;
char in,x;
bioscom(0, SETTINGS, COM1); /*initialize the port*/
cprintf("Data sent to you: ");
while (1)

{

status = bioscom(3, 0, COM1); /*wait until get a data*/
if (status & DATA_READY)
if ((out = bioscom(2, 0, COM1) & 0x7F) != 0) /*input a data*/
{
cout<<"the data received is "<<out<<endl;
putch(out);
}
if (in=getch())
{ cout<<"key was pressed"<<in<<endl;
if (in == 27) /* ASCII of Esc*/
{
break;
}
else
{cout<<"we are aobut to transmit"<<endl<<in<<endl;
bioscom(1, in , COM1); /*output a data*/}
}

}
return 0;
}

Thanx

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
Most PCs that I've used have had hardware handshaking set on by default.

I guess you've connected the RX pin 2 to the TX pin 3 on the 9-pin serial port, is that right?

Try also connecting pin 4 DTR to pin 6 DSR to enable the handshaking.

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
I've never personally used bioscom to talk to the ports but this looks right, as compared to another example of code I found that does use bioscom.

Are you sure you're connecting to COM1? Some computers have several serial ports;
maybe your loopback is plugged into COM2.

When you first call bioscom to connect to the port, does it return a status telling you whether it succeeded or failed? It might be good to get and print a return status; maybe the initial open is failing.

Another thing you could do is try a terminal program like HyperTerminal or TeraTerm to do the same thing - that might help verify which COM your connector is mapped to, and can help test your loopback plug.