Help!!! Resistors!!!

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Hello,

I have resistors. Purchased. :D

Now, I heard that it can be identified by its colors. nOW, im confusing!!!

pls help!!!

1 resistor colored=orange,black, and brown
2 resistor colored=red, black, and brown
3 resistor colored= brown, purple,and yellow green.

Um, help?

resistors that i have purchased is 470Ω,1kΩ,10k.Ω

Thanks!

Lightfire aka Catapult

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Bad Boys Ravished Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly.

0 - Black
1 - Brown
2 - Red
3 - Orange
4 - Yellow
5 - Green
6 - Blue
7 - Violet
8 - Grey
9 - White

This simple mneumonic will help you remember the color code, it was old when I was new.

Most (but not all) resistors have 3 rings to identify what the resistor is. 1st color, 1st value, second color same, 3rd color is the number of zeros after the first two digits.

So Orange Orange Orange will be 33000Ω

The is a fourth ring, but it is usually gold or silver. Gold is 5% tolerance, silver is 10%. So 33000Ω ± 5%, or 33000Ω ± 1650Ω

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
He might not get that...

and if you and a smartphone with android just download the app

Electrodroid, awesome stuff in there.

the 1st one is just what you need you get the colors you have on the program and it will tell you the value of the resistor.

or the other way around too (input value, output colors)

http://www.appbrain.com/app/electrodroid/it.android.demi.elettronica

Best regards and have fun ;)
I'm pretty sure kids in the Philippines don't generally have smartphones ;)
Thats an american thing.

Lightfire, the order of the colors matters, In the electronics cheat sheet thread there is a picture with the colors and meanings that you can print off and use, I have one hanging on my wall.

Kingsparks

Joined May 17, 2011
All you missed this, I think.

You have an excellent source for the color code at the top of this forum. Go to top of forum and open Vol. V - Reference. Click on "Color Code" (Table of contents, left of page.) Open the chapter then click on color codes. Very well put together explanation and examples. :rolleyes:

Zwilorg

Joined May 18, 2011
He might not get that...

Thats an american thing.

Lightfire, the order of the colors matters, In the electronics cheat sheet thread there is a picture with the colors and meanings that you can print off and use, I have one hanging on my wall.

true true :p

but it can also help other ppl out there too!

(and i am not american, and also own one for 75€ and some tweaks made hehe, anything based on linux SO can be exchanged to android +- easily)

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Basically how I remember it too, your version is a bit less violent then I was taught.

You can also take on "Get Some Now" for the tolerance:

Get: Gold 5%
Some: Silver 10%
Now: None 20%

Bad Boys Ravished Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly. Get Some Now.

Note: Despite many years in the industry and countless Google searches I have yet to find this Violet girl!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
The one I learned was probably invented by some child--It's a lot milder than Violet's :D

Billy Bob Ran Out Yonder, Giving Babies Very Greasy Wigs

It sounds really stupid, I know, but it's how I learned :p:D
Der Strom

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Usually, resistors have at least 4 color bands; the last one being gold (5%) or silver (10%) to indicate the tolerance.

A long time ago, resistors had only 3 color bands, and the tolerance was 20%. Even longer ago, tolerances were 50%.

Here is a link to a nice graphical resistor color decoder page:
http://samengstrom.com/24614782/en/read/4_Band_Resistor_Color_Codes
That page is for 4-band color codes. There are also decoders for 5- and 6-band codes, accessible by clicking the links on the upper left of the page.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
He might not get that...

Thats an american thing.

Wahhh! Almost all of my classmates had smartphones. If not smartphones, yea, laptop. :D But, I'm not belong to those. I'm not fond of those gadgets. :)

Catapult. Catapult. Catapult......:D:D:D

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Wahhh! Almost all of my classmates had smartphones. If not smartphones, yea, laptop. :D But, I'm not belong to those. I'm not fond of those gadgets. :)
Hi, Catapult :)

As you grow up you will see the need more and more for "those gadgets." They are beginning to play a major role in the world, and make your life significantly easier. I personally do not have a smartphone, but I do have a laptop. I honestly don't know what I would do without it :D
DS