Help ! Repeat Cycle Timer Circuit Required

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Unnikrishnan, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Unnikrishnan

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    I want to control a double solenoid valve that controls air supply to a double acting pneumatic air cylinder. The air cylinder has two inlets. Air is first supplied through one inlet, when the piston pushes out air through the other inlet, which goes as exhaust through the solenoid valve. In the next cycle, air is supplied through the second inlet, when the piston pushes the air through the first inlet that goes as exhaust. The input voltage of solenoid is 240 v. The process of switching the air supply at regular cycles (of 1second to 10 second) should go on till required. Please guide me to make a timer of this specification.
    Thanks in advance
    Unnikrishnan

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    For starters, you need a 5-port 2-position (a 3-position could be used, too) valve.
    See figure 2: http://www.freestudy.co.uk/fluid power/dcv.pdf
    That's hydraulic, but the same principle applies for air.

The two ports on your cylinder need to alternate between high pressure and low pressure. The 5-port spool valve accomplishes this.

You will need a muffler of some type on the exhaust, or the noise will damage people's hearing.

3. Unnikrishnan

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Thank you SgtWookie. The double solenoid valve is already purchased. It needs to be controlled through a timer. The timer should activate one valve at a time and then deactivate it while activating the second one. I am looking for such a timer circuit diagram. Kindly help.

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    If you have two 3-port valves that have a common port, one port normally "open" and one port normally "closed", that could work.

If you simply have two solenoid valves that have one input and one output, it will not work.

Please provide a link to documentation on what solenoid valves you have purchased.