Help please

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by mexi, Jan 14, 2014.

1. mexi

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 14, 2014
    :)

Hello there this is my first time being here ,and i don't know if im in the correct section for this thread. I hope someone could help me out. :)

Well i have a kind of old laptop , is a Toshiba satellite a205 , but is not working properly anymore i believe is a short circuit that has to do with the charger every time i plug in the charger to the laptop it instantly freezes.:confused:
    I'm unable to use this laptop because the battery doesn't work anymore , so now with the charger freezing the laptop is useless , what i wanted to know if i can fix it my self but where?

so the problem is , the charger makes the laptop to freeze instantly.:(

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Welcome to AAC. Hope you find this a helpful site.

Note the model number, voltage, current and pin polarity of the charger.
    Find a replacement charger and give that a try.

3. mexi

Jan 14, 2014
    I already tried different chargers , and it happens the same

4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Ok. We have a Catch-22 situation.

You say:

How can the laptop freeze if the battery is not working? How do you get it started in the first place?

5. mexi

Jan 14, 2014
    that's the problem i cant get my laptop to boot anymore , the battery is has been death for a long time now , so all that time i been using the charger , but not i cant even use the charger because as i said it wont boot , if i let the battery to charge for a long time (which last about 2 mins) it will do boot normally , then if i connect the charger the laptop will freeze at anywhere is at that moment.

6. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Remove the battery and check with charger.

Can you specify the laptop power consumption detail. It is written on the label found on the bottom.
    Voltage rating ?
    Current rating?

Now find the charger specifications found on the charger label.
    Voltage rating?
    Current rating?

7. MagicMatt

Sep 30, 2013
    What about if you take the battery out completely, and try the charger?

The charger is technically a power supply... it's not just for charging the battery, hence most laptops can run happily with no battery in them.

Also, at what point does it freeze - is it giving you POST messages, BIOS messages, anything like that, or just totally dead?

8. mexi

Jan 14, 2014

Voltage rating ?
    the voltage input is DC 19 V and 3.95 A

the charger is
    the voltage input is DC 19 V and 3.42 A

9. mexi

Jan 14, 2014

I also tried that but the machine wont even boot if i connect the charger without the battery , And nope it doesn't give me any message when it freeze as you said totally death.

10. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    it may be to do with your charge/power socket on the laptop as i had a similar problem with one the other week-replacement cured it....