Help please on a component

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by aaharvey, Oct 11, 2006.

1. aaharvey

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Hi All

I'm trying to intergrate some turn signals into the rear light of my motorcycle. I've done some basic circuit work before but can't think of what I need to get this working in the way that I want. If someone could offer some help I'd be very gratefull.

My rear light is made up of about 20 red LEDs, I want to add about 5 Amber LEDs to each side of the light. When the amber turn LEDs are illuminated I want to turn off the surrounding red LEDs. I thought I would be able to do this easily with the normally closed terminal on a relay controlling the earth feed to the LEDs I want switched off. This would allow the normal operation of the full tail/brake light when the indicators are not being used.

The problem is that the feed I would need to use to control the coil on the relay is constantly being switched on and off by a flasher relay (to flash the indicators). What I need is a component that outputs a constant feed for a second or so when being fed by an on/off feed. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could use? I have included a picture of the schematic to (hopefully) make things a bit clearer.

TIA
    Andy

[​IMG]

2. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
  3. Søren

Sep 2, 2006
    Hi,

If you turn off the tail light alltogether, the reference for which way you're flashing off to will be lost. Personally, I'd prefer the back-and-forth action that you have now - that will also make it much more noticeable :)