Help on Mathematics related to Computer Science

Discussion in 'Math' started by MichealY, Jun 16, 2009.

1. MichealY

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 9, 2009
    What's branches of mathematics are most related to computer science?
    I only know that Discrete Mathematics and Numerical Analysis is,so how about others?

Thanks.
    MichealY

2. Mark44

Nov 26, 2007
    Numerical analysis depends pretty heavily on both differential and integral calculus, and on differential equations and linear algebra to a lesser degree.

3. MichealY

Apr 9, 2009
  4. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Depends whether your main area of interest is in building computers or applying them. Discrete mathematics serves very well for computer builders. If you are applying them you need an appreciation of the mathematics of the subject you are applying them to.

However since most computers use visual (graphical) output these days one area of maths that concerns both the building and the applications is geometry.

The geometry of spatial form, the mathematical description of shape and form. This is a huge subject.

Since we can never predict where the next breakthrough will come from or lead to, I believe in a good broad grounding in matters technical and mathematical is the best approach.

5. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    How about boolean algebra and binary arithmetic. They're very simple and obvious, but are also most related.

6. MichealY

Apr 9, 2009
    to Mark44,
    Yeah,it is.I am studying it this term,but messed up.I'm now so worried about the final exam :)

to studiot,
    What do you mean by builder,computer architecture or design of CPU/mainboard/Video card?In my opionion,bulider should know much about electrical engineer.

to steveb,
    Yes,but it seems that binary arithmetic is just a method.I think automata is important too,if you want to work out a compiler.

MichealY

7. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Discrete maths (in England anyway) includes binary arithmetic and Boolean algebra, automata, Turing processes and much more.

This type of maths is useful to those designing databases, accountancy software, the arrangement of logic gates and functions on a chip the arrangement of chips to form a logic circuit and the counting of profits gained at the end.

Technical users of computers construct complicated 2 or 3 dimensional structures called fine element arrays to host the model for maps, fluid mechanics, the shape of a component being machined, stress analysis, weather systems, navigation..............and even games.

These arrays are really a computer way of recording the geometry of the subject and associating the property of interest with points in space or points on the screen.

Builders of computers need to know about these arrays so that the correct set of screen points can be associated with the desired set of array points representing a desired object so for instance the set of points representing pacman can be moved around as a whole, within the larger memory array.