help on exercise

yiannistamv

Joined Jul 23, 2014
can someone tell me why my aproach is wroch (see pdf) when i need to find V0 and the power desitipated on this resistor?

Attachments

• 217.8 KB Views: 23

yiannistamv

Joined Jul 23, 2014
thank you i saw it (the paralel resistors ) what about kvl i suppose that doen not apply from what you have said me but why does not aply. please tell if you wish

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The basic laws still apply. You need to consider the current through each resistor to solve the question. But first, calculate the voltage across them (6Ω and 3Ω). Have you done that? What value did you get?

John

yiannistamv

Joined Jul 23, 2014
yes i did that but i thought that throught the mesh i will have the same current so (as you can see in the pdf) i use the kvl -12+6i+4i=0 and then
v6=i*6=v0 i do understand that i am wrong in the way i am seeing it i can not understand were. please if you have the time explain to me . Thank you for your time

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
First of all what is the resistance of a 6Ω and 3Ω resistor in parallel?

1/R = 1/6 + 1/3 = 1/6 + 2/6 = ?

R = ? (The answer is not 6Ω.)

Now, calculate the current through the series resistance of the 4Ω resistor + R (your result above). From that calculate the voltage drop (Vo) across the two paralleled resistors. The current through each should be easily calculated from Vo, but you are not asked that. Io is the current through just the 3Ω resistor (i.e., Vo/3).

John

Edit: Maybe redrawing like this will help:

Capture.PNG

Last edited: