Help! Novice has hit roadblock

sjb1964

Joined Jan 16, 2014
Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to seek advice, but seeing as it is the most active, I went for it.

The doorbell receiver I just bought has a bright light that stays on 100% of the time, and I'd like to disable it.

When I removed the front and examined the circuit board (see photo), I saw that the miniature bulb -- see yellow box -- was soldered in. Is there any way to disable the bulb without leaving an open circuit and creating a risk of fire? The receiver plugs into a 110v outlet.

Many thanks for any advice. Please be as specific as possible with your suggestions, as I'm not familiar with electronics terminology.

Sincerely,

Scott

Attachments

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Why would an open circuit create a risk of fire?

You could put a dab of black paint on it, but I would just desolder it, or one leg of it

sjb1964

Joined Jan 16, 2014
Desoldering and removing it would solve the problem? If so, that's terrific, thank you.

I know little about electronics. Just figured that if I removed the bulb without cutting off the flow of electricity, the electricity would have to go somewhere, and in this case, would just transfer heat to the unit.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
If there is no connection the electricity does not go anywhere. Think of the electrical sockets in your house, no electricity "leaks" out if there is nothing plugged in.

Without knowing the circuit in detail there is a possibility that desoldering could have an effect but I would think that is unlikely. It's most likely that one side of the LED is just connected directly to ground or connected to ground through a resistor.