Help... no background in electrical engineering

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by HoTDoGCorpSE, Jun 28, 2013.

1. HoTDoGCorpSE

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 28, 2013
    First of all hi, I'm new here and i have zero BG in EE. I am a bio-psychology student and i just had this idea in my head for the longest time and i finally came around to doing the tedious circuitry work of my idea. It may have been done before but I would like to just get this thing out of my head lol
    just a few questions.

1. What exactly am i doing here...
    2. I need to be able to discharge the cap with a microswitch that will be actuated by a rotating object. So how would i go about doing that?
    3. I need the cap to be discharged at a certain level before ultimately being discharge. again, how do i do that lol
    I have a feeling i may have to do software work huh...

I'll just keep it to 3 questions for now and i apologize for the ridiculously large photo.

2. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    Are you sure you have copied it correctly from the circuit where you've got it?

Is "I7" a constant current source of 1A or is it an Amp Meter ?
    1N4733A is a 5V zener & 1N4742A is a 12V zener.

Looks like a SCR made up of a PNP/NPN BJT pair....

To discharge the C6 capacitor, I'd put a NPN transistor across it and provide the bias through the micro-switch and +9V.

3. HoTDoGCorpSE

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 28, 2013
    Yea i got rid of that little cluster, i was just trying something out and it seemed to work but ended up being useless lol
    Here is what i am trying to do.
    I'm trying to turn an electromagnet on and off almost instantly. Just long enough to repel a magnet rotating around an axis (N - N or S - S; poles)

here's the old-new layout