Help... no background in electrical engineering

HoTDoGCorpSE

Joined Jun 28, 2013
First of all hi, I'm new here and i have zero BG in EE. I am a bio-psychology student and i just had this idea in my head for the longest time and i finally came around to doing the tedious circuitry work of my idea. It may have been done before but I would like to just get this thing out of my head lol
just a few questions.

1. What exactly am i doing here...
  2. I need to be able to discharge the cap with a microswitch that will be actuated by a rotating object. So how would i go about doing that?
  3. I need the cap to be discharged at a certain level before ultimately being discharge. again, how do i do that lol
I have a feeling i may have to do software work huh...

I'll just keep it to 3 questions for now and i apologize for the ridiculously large photo.

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Are you sure you have copied it correctly from the circuit where you've got it?

Is "I7" a constant current source of 1A or is it an Amp Meter ?
1N4733A is a 5V zener & 1N4742A is a 12V zener.

Looks like a SCR made up of a PNP/NPN BJT pair....

To discharge the C6 capacitor, I'd put a NPN transistor across it and provide the bias through the micro-switch and +9V.

Allen

HoTDoGCorpSE

Joined Jun 28, 2013
Yea i got rid of that little cluster, i was just trying something out and it seemed to work but ended up being useless lol
Here is what i am trying to do.
I'm trying to turn an electromagnet on and off almost instantly. Just long enough to repel a magnet rotating around an axis (N - N or S - S; poles)

here's the old-new layout