help needed with programming microcontrollers

jimit

Joined Oct 28, 2010
hi every on well i want to learn programming microcontrolers.
can some one give me some idea on what will be needed where can i get it from and for how much what all is to be known (important points ) etc.
i tried Googleing around but found nothing :D

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
How good are you currently at programming?

Do you know assembly for any platform? C? Basic?

How versed are you in electronics?

The best item for you could be anything from an Arduino to a PIC dev board like the EasyPIC line.

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
A few months ago I was in the same boat. Do a google of Microchip and check out their Pickit2 and Pickit3 programmers. I bought a Pickit3 for 70 dollars and was then overwhelmed when it came with free MPLAB IDE. assembler and C compiler and documentation about any PIC chip you can buy. I felt like the most ignorant person in the world at first. I mean there was a real mass of information I had to absorb before I could even begin to think correctly about using the micro controller.

Gradually it became more and more clear as I doggedly pursued the supporting literature provided free at the Microchip website. You can go there, download MP LAB IDE for free and begin at once playing with simulations even though you don't have an actual programmer. I highly recommend it. Microchip is the real McCoy; it's a professional system.

TweedleDee

Joined Nov 9, 2010
I would also recommend a small 8 bit AVR microcontroller. Free compiler tools and really good support and tutorials at www.avrfreaks.net. If you have a little electronics background, you can get a couple of those, a $34 programmer, breadboard, voltage regulator, 9v battery and some LEDs and begin learning.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
hi every on well i want to learn programming microcontrolers.
can some one give me some idea on what will be needed where can i get it from and for how much what all is to be known (important points ) etc.
i tried Googleing around but found nothing :D
There are two things to be mastered in the wonderful world of microocontrollers. These are the software aspect and the hardware aspect of microcontrollers. As a beginner, you need to focus on one thing at a time. Trying to learn hardware and software both at the same time can frustrate you to the point of utter discouragement. With this said, I would recommend that you get yourself an Arduino Uno or Arduino Duemilanove from some place like www.sparkfun.com . This little jewel will permit you to focus your attention on learning software programming highlevel language that is based very strongly on C-language. This software is FREE from www.arduino.cc . You will need to get your hands on a shield board for the Arduino to give you a board to build your interface circuitry on. You will need a USB type A male to USB type B male cable to connect your Arduino to your laptop via a USB port. The arduino is powered by the USB port. It can be powered by an external DC power supply if you prefer but for initial software development the USB serves nicely.

With the Arduino you can master the software and then once you are bitten by the bug you can go on to familiarizing yourself with the hardware.

hgmjr

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
There are two things to be mastered in the wonderful world of microocontrollers. These are the software aspect and the hardware aspect of microcontrollers. As a beginner, you need to focus on one thing at a time. Trying to learn hardware and software both at the same time can frustrate you to the point of utter discouragement. With this said, I would recommend that you get yourself an Arduino Uno or Arduino Duemilanove from some place like www.sparkfun.com . This little jewel will permit you to focus your attention on learning software programming highlevel language that is based very strongly on C-language. This software is FREE from www.arduino.cc . You will need to get your hands on a shield board for the Arduino to give you a board to build your interface circuitry on. You will need a USB type A male to USB type B male cable to connect your Arduino to your laptop via a USB port. The arduino is powered by the USB port. It can be powered by an external DC power supply if you prefer but for initial software development the USB serves nicely.

With the Arduino you can master the software and then once you are bitten by the bug you can go on to familiarizing yourself with the hardware.

hgmjr
I respect hgmijr, but I , very humbly
think, Pics are the way to go.

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
I think MicroChip offers the whole enchilada. And they have so many different packages such that they are tops. And I think Microchip should pay me for this advertising.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I think MicroChip offers the whole enchilada. And they have so many different packages such that they are tops. And I think Microchip should pay me for this advertising.

They probably won't, but they have an AWESOME "samples for nearly just postage cost" program!!

jimit

Joined Oct 28, 2010
i don't know any thing about programming microcontrolers.
i am level 0 in it but i know electronics :D

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
My experience with microcontrollers started with a LEGO Mindstorms package. It provides an easy, fun and A WHOLE LOTTA MORE EXPENSIVE way to start your way, so I don't really recomend it.

Then I jumped onto an Arduino Duemillanove for a servo controller and sensor management project. Easy C-like profile, a developped community, free but a little poor and buggy compiler. Good stuff.

Then came this year with a course in microcontrollers in uni, introducing the 8085 and 8086 chips, PURELY on theoretical and programming level and messed me real bad. Now I don't want to see a microcontroller for the next 5 years.

Take your pic(k?).