Help Needed To Design AC LEd Driver

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by athena_9, Jun 6, 2012.

1. athena_9

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Hello All,

This is my first Post to the site and thank you all who try to solve my problem. I want to design a 3W & 5W AC powered LED Driver.
    LED Specifications :
    Edison LED of 129lumen
    Volt : 3.5V
    Current : 0.35Amp
    Power : 1W

Now The Problem is there are a lot of driver IC available to Drive the Circuit but my major Issue is not the IC but the Power Supply to the Circuit.

I have purchased a lot of AC driver available in market. All comes with these configuration in which a bridge is feed to the AC supply and the power is converted to DC. then this supply is usually feed to driving IC for Constant Current Control and simultantiosly to a Transformer for DC Dc conversion application.

Now The major Question is How to design that Transformer or how to get it from market?
    While surfing a lot on these topics i came to know that for transformers we need to have a bobbin and winding diagram.
    How would i know which bobbin i have to use and what are the other specifications needed for the transformer.

Sorry for posting such a lengthy note.

thanking you all,
    Kumar Saurav

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    What you need, IMHO, is not at all unique and therefore your make-or-buy decision should be to buy.

You should look for a switch-mode power supply (SMPS) solution, as these will be smaller, lighter and more efficient. Such things are being legislated in some geographies, because of the efficiency. They might cost a bit more, but I'm not so sure about that. Cheaper to ship, package, etc.