Help Needed To Design AC LEd Driver

athena_9

Joined Jun 6, 2012
Hello All,

This is my first Post to the site and thank you all who try to solve my problem. I want to design a 3W & 5W AC powered LED Driver.
LED Specifications :
Edison LED of 129lumen
Volt : 3.5V
Current : 0.35Amp
Power : 1W

Now The Problem is there are a lot of driver IC available to Drive the Circuit but my major Issue is not the IC but the Power Supply to the Circuit.

I have purchased a lot of AC driver available in market. All comes with these configuration in which a bridge is feed to the AC supply and the power is converted to DC. then this supply is usually feed to driving IC for Constant Current Control and simultantiosly to a Transformer for DC Dc conversion application.

Now The major Question is How to design that Transformer or how to get it from market?
While surfing a lot on these topics i came to know that for transformers we need to have a bobbin and winding diagram.
How would i know which bobbin i have to use and what are the other specifications needed for the transformer.

Sorry for posting such a lengthy note.

thanking you all,
Kumar Saurav

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Now The major Question is How to design that Transformer or how to get it from market?
What you need, IMHO, is not at all unique and therefore your make-or-buy decision should be to buy.

You should look for a switch-mode power supply (SMPS) solution, as these will be smaller, lighter and more efficient. Such things are being legislated in some geographies, because of the efficiency. They might cost a bit more, but I'm not so sure about that. Cheaper to ship, package, etc.