Help needed to create a timed cut-out for 2.5V 0.2A circuit

t33stat

Joined Jul 8, 2016
Relatively new to the world of electronics, it just all seems so magical to me!

I was hoping be able to figure this out but can’t seem to find anything online which performs the function I need,

So here is the scenario:

2.5V panel mount LED on a boost control box running around 0.2A, the LED is on constantly, and I’d like to turn it off after a few seconds of being on, at the moment I have a flap of electrical tape that I put over it when im driving at night!

I have looked into a 555 timer but the circuits seem to require 5V,

There is a local 12V supply that is constantly live, but I don’t want to introduce any more voltage into the box from fear of blowing it up!

Would anyone have any suggestions? Im sure there must be a simple way to do this that im just not able to find!

t33stat

Joined Jul 8, 2016
The supply voltage is 2.5V

Yes i could dim the LED but ideally i would just like to interrupt the power and turn it off completely.

I could cut out the LED but i still want to know that it has powered on correctly.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
There is a local 12V supply that is constantly live, but I don’t want to introduce any more voltage into the box from fear of blowing it up!
This isn't an issue.
The supply voltage is 2.5V

Yes i could dim the LED but ideally i would just like to interrupt the power and turn it off completely.

I could cut out the LED but i still want to know that it has powered on correctly.
You'll get better responses if you post a schematic and/or block diagram of what you want to accomplish. Show how the LED is wired, how the booster is connected, and where the 2.5V supply is coming from (you said you were driving, so everything should be powered from the battery/alternator).