Help needed? step-up Boost

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Not even close, if you really need 6A. The specs of that device clearly say the limit is only 0.4A with an input of only 3V. I suppose you could put 15 of those in parallel.

Etronic

Joined Oct 7, 2011
Sorry people.

I have made a big mistake on the current.
Its more like 0.3A to 1.6Amps with the voltages that I mentioned.
Would it work.

How would I get 6A out of 3 volts on the input. There's no way.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
This you can do, but you will probably need to build it. Google TI web bench and plug in your needs. It will spit out a couple of designs, but they won't be real easy to get to work without a pc board.

Etronic

Joined Oct 7, 2011
I'm not understanding why I can't use that module.:confused:

If I put in 3.6V on the input and set it so I get 9V on the output.
It wouldn't give me that voltage output. It looks like its adjustable
to set the output voltage.

Its a step-up converter booster. right?.
Or do I need to use a step up voltage booster..Or are they same.

I do not want to build a unit.I just want to buy a module.

Can you recommend a module for me. I really don't want to build it.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm not understanding why I can't use that module.:confused:
You said you need up to 1.6A at 12V from an input as low as 3V. That module cannot do that. If you are willing to live within the specifications of the module, it may work fine for you. (Cheap stuff from China can be a problem, and I wouldn't expect to operate for long at the edge of a specification. Be conservative.)

What are you trying to do? Perhaps if we knew your goal, we could offer the right solution.

Etronic

Joined Oct 7, 2011
Wayneh
You said you need up to 1.6A at 12V from an input as low as 3V.
No?Sorry. I ment if i put 3V into the input to get, lets say 9V on the output with a current rating of say 0.5amps or less . I'm assuming? That will be the current maybe more or less...
Maximum current would be 1.6A if voltage is 12V on input or output when the maximum voltage you can set it at.

Less say I have a device which requires minimum 7V 0r 9V but I have to use 3.6 volts for the input voltage.
And my total current for that circuit needs 0.5A or less to operate.This is what I need
in a step-up booster.I hope you understand me now.

Etronic

Joined Oct 7, 2011
No?Sorry. I ment if i put 3V into the input to get, lets say 9V on the output with a current rating of say 0.5amps or less . I'm assuming? That will be the current maybe more or less...
Maximum current would be 1.6A if voltage is 12V on input or output when the maximum voltage you can set it at.

Less say I have a device which requires minimum 7V 0r 9V but I have to use 3.6 volts for the input voltage.
And my total current for that circuit needs 0.5A or less to operate.This is what I need
in a step-up booster.I hope you understand me now.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If you are willing to live within the specifications of the module, it may work fine for you.
Same answer. You can read the specs. If they fit your needs, and if the device actually delivers on those specifications, then the converter should meet your needs.

You said you might need 0.5A at 9V. That's at least 1.5A at 3V. The device is rated to 2A continuous input with a voltage ratio of 3. So, it should work, although with not a lot of headroom (excess capacity).