HELP needed on RS-232 waveform

NiCeBoY

Joined Aug 20, 2008
Hello,
i need to :

Sketch the waveform of Asynchronous signal with ASCII character L with format 7, O, 1 2400bps. (The sketch should also show the symbol time.) After you finish the sketch of the waveform, sketch another waveform from the out put of RS-232 interface with the same data format as before.
I did the sketch as i attached below, can anyone check it and let me know if its good please and how i calculate and show the symbol time in both waveform please?

below is my waveform as attachment :

thanks.

Attachments

NiCeBoY

Joined Aug 20, 2008
also can anyone help me out to find out the Coding Efficiency, Redundancy, Transmission Efficiency & System Efficiency.

And how do i show on the above sketch the symbol time.

Thanks

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
I think you will need to start with a transition just before the start bit, because that's how the receiver detects that data bits are on the way.

Also, I don't think there is a transition past the stop bit - all the stop bit is for is to provide some idle time so the remote receiver has time to process the arrived byte. A trailing transition would be too easy to mistake for the next start transition.

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
Question for you - if you have a number with the units "bits per second", then what would you need to do in order to to express it in terms of "seconds per bit"?

(Hint - if I walk at 2 meters per second, then I'm walking at 0.5 seconds per meter.)

Once you have time per bit, then each bit in your drawing will take just that amount of time.

And remember, the entire transmission will only take a small fraction of a second, so if you get a final number like 24000 seconds then you're doing something wrong.