Help needed on elevator push switch

efarook

Joined Aug 5, 2009
Hello everybody,

My question is related to elevators. We usually see illuminated push switches for calling an elevator car or selecting a floor. But I could not find any data regarding how they work or how to connect these switches to circuit that will show similar behavior, i.e., it will remain illuminated untill the car arrives on the intended floor.

Someone please provide me the data regarding most common type of such switches for elevator controller application, so that I can understand how many pins are there on such push switch and how these pins are labeled etc.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
The common illuminated elevator pushbutton switch has 4 terminals, two for the SPST (single-pole/single-throw), N.O. (normally open) switch contacts and two for the lamp (or LED). The arrangement and markings of the terminals would depend entirely on the manufacturer.

The control of the elevator is entirely by the circuitry attached to the switch and lamp, not by the switch and lamp themselves. They are only an input (switch) and output (lamp) devices.

The circuitry can be fairly simple electromechanical relays and switches (manual operation and no safety features) or very complex under computer control with algorithms about traffic patterns and current usage.

Is this the start of a school project?

Ken

efarook

Joined Aug 5, 2009
Thanks for your prompt responses.

I got the ideas I needed from your answers. Actually, this is not a school project; yes I found some projects on elevator on this site and elsewhere, but these could not answer my questions.

Ken, thanks for your descriptive answer that gave me the hint I needed;
thanks jj_alukkas for your link and finally
mik3, thank you for your advice.

-efarook