Help needed in selecting development boards

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by LuckyJ, Sep 23, 2016.

1. LuckyJ

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Hi All,

First of all I must say its a very good platform for learners like me to understand things about embedded systems and its related hardware. Thank you very much for building this website.

I am very new to this embedded world and quite interested to lean more about it.

To learn more about various embedded modules, I would like to start a small project having following requirements:

1. Looking for a modular development board (would prefer small size board(s), say like size of a wallet ) which can be enhanced by adding multiple daughter boards.

2. This development board should have daughter board Or other wireless small boards for the following functionality, running with mains power or with battery :
    A. Wifi module
    B. ZigBee module
    C. Capable of attaching PIR/Motion/temperature/humidity sensors (may be a daughter board with ADC, would do?)
    D. Daughter board supporting camera
    E. Capable of attaching key pad
    F. 3G module

I would prefer modules which are easier to program, I do have experience in C, python and ok to pickup other language/scripts too.
    Also I am based on UK so would prefer devices which are easier to purchase.
    Looking forward to your suggestions and please let me know if you need more details on the above.

With best regards,
    Lucky

2. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    LuckyJ likes this.
  3. jayanthd

Jul 4, 2015
    mikroElektronika Website

http://www.mikroe.com

EasyPIC v7 Development board
    Click Boards like 3G Click, GSM3 Click, Nano GPS Click, Wi-Fi Click, PIR Click, Motion Click

Click Boards are inserted into mikroBus Socket on EasyPIC v7

Also see EasyAVR v7.

Development boards come with onboard programmer and debugger which works with mikroE Compilers.

LuckyJ likes this.
  4. OBW0549

Mar 2, 2015
    Both the Arduino and the Raspberry Pi would appear to meet your requirements. Each is capable of interfacing to a huge variety of add-on peripherals.

Adafruit is a good source for both, as well as for add-ons to suit just about any need. They also have their own line of Arduino clones in a variety of form factors, some nearly as small as a postage stamp. Sparkfun is another good source.

There are many other embedded platforms available, but Arduino and Raspberry Pi seem to be the two with the largest user base and the most help available online. Both maintain very active online discussion forums.

LuckyJ likes this.
  5. LuckyJ

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks very much for all your responses, I'll review them and will come back.

Regards,
    Lucky

6. NorthGuy

Jun 28, 2014
    This looks like a huge project to me. For camera, WiFi, and some sort of graphics, you need a lot of memory and computing power. EasyPIC is way too small. I don't think Arduino will work for you. I would look at Raspberri Pi or even Beagleboard. You probably can do it with high end PIC or ARM MCU, but since you're not concerned with form factor, why bother.

7. jayanthd

Jul 4, 2015
    And there are EasyMX PRO STM32, EasyFT90x EasyPIC Fusion v7 (PIC32) which are for 32 bit microcontrollers. For PIC32 buy the PIC32MZ module. 2 MB Flash and 512KB RAM. EasyFT90x board comes with a onboard camera. There are external camera modules also available.

I have only use mikroE products for my project developments. I have a Raspberry Pi 3 but have not used it yet. I have never used Beaglebone.

8. LuckyJ

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks Guys,
    After looking at the various suggested options, at the moment MircoE and Raspberry Pi are looking quite promising.