help needed...avr microcontroller

anuj kumar

Joined Aug 30, 2012
hi
I am using eclipse for programming my atmega-16 microcontroller but during burning of hex code i found this error

"the programmer usbtiny could not initalised the target hardware
Initialization failed, rc=-1"

how to solve this problem?

The problem is that the development board you would be using must not be getting proper voltage supply. This could be due to the usb connecting programmer to your computer. Change the usb port and try.

Also check if the driver for the usbtiny is properly installed in your computer in the device manager.

ravi8820

Joined Sep 21, 2012
I tried everything before writing this.

I was trying to connect an "ATMEGA 16A microcontroller" (which is impressed in a development board) with a "USB AVR programmer" by connecting through their isp header pins. I had connected them correctly using connecting wires. After that for checking whether i had connected them correctly or not i had written
"avrdude -c usbtiny -p m16" in the command prompt.

Then it is giving the error writing

"avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn’t answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude done. Thank you."

I am also mentioning here the links in which it is mentioned to write as above for checking of connections--------------

(1) http://elecrom.wordpress.com/2009/04...p-and-avrdude/
(2) http://www.newbiehack.com/MCUTestandCircuit.aspx

Also when i was programming in AVR studio for blinking an led using the above two components. It is showing the programmer as disconnected and in AVR studio there is no device named "ATMEGA 16A". However there is a device named "ATMEGA 16". The power LED of the microcontroller is blinking continuously even when i make its "ON\OFF" switch OFF. What could be the possible causes of error and how can i rectify them so as to continue my programming in a smooth way. I also not able to understand about fuse bits. How can i know whether fuse bits of my microcontroller is screwed up or not and if they are screwed up how can i correct them? What could be the possible causes of error and how can i rectify them so as to continue my programming in a smooth way.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
It sounds like the drivers for the USBTiny programmer are not properly installed.

Of course the USBTiny programmer might be broken, but I'd look at the driver set-up first.

anny0498

Joined Aug 13, 2012
Hi Anuj,

Check connection and power, ensure that all drivers are installed needed for usbtiny and the attached target.
Programmer is unable to find the device.