help need in triggering interrupt............

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by sanddune, Dec 3, 2008.

1. sanddune

Thread Starter Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Hi All,

Need ideas in designing triggering circuit....

basic idea:

triggering int when the switch is closed........were the switch is connected to 240V AC, 60Hz supply......All I need is a pulse at the int pin when switched ON.

Felt using transformer could increase the size of the board......Is there a way to reduce the size of the board using optocouplers or something else if so how?

I found an AC switch detector .....follow link

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/...592/stcc08.pdf

will this useful for achieving the above idea?:confused:

all i need is pulse to INT pin(PIC16F628A) when AC switch is closed .........

Thanks to all in advance

2. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Yes you can use it.

3. sanddune

Thread Starter Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Thanks for your time....

Purpose of this project is to

Detect A closed switch(eg: door bell switch at 240V 60Hz) will trigger my micro controller to send certain commands.

Is it okay to use optocouplers. As mentioned in the link below

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data.../486754_DS.pdf
    and
    http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...shay/83676.pdf

Especially SFH620AA(Siemens).......

Is this correct:
    I would be connecting my EXT INT pin of micro controller to the 3rd PIN of SFH620AA(Siemens), With the Pin 1 connected through 50 K resistor to the supply

Will this provide a perfect isolation between high and low voltages?:confused:

4. sanddune

Thread Starter Member

Dec 2, 2008
    will this be fine?.....

5. nanovate

Distinguished Member

May 7, 2007
    Maybe, can you post a schematic?

6. sanddune

Thread Starter Member

Dec 2, 2008
    i haven't yet finalized the triggering circuit and that's the reason i am here........

All i need is a pulse to my INT pin stating that whether door bell is active or not.

Basic idea:

I would be connecting my microcontroller in series with the switch which uses the AC 240V supply. When a closed circuit is detected send commands.

As i mentioned earlier, using rectifier is certainly an option.What i would be looking at is reducing my board size without an transformer and rectifier circuit .

7. sanddune

Thread Starter Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I guess i will go with

Connecting my EXT INT pin of micro controller to the 4th PIN(C) of SFH620A(Vishay), With the Pin 1 connected through 50 K resistor supply(240V). With the optocoupler connected in series with the switch.

Is there anythings I need to take care?besides the current limiting resistor at the AC input stage.

8. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Well, I don't think the doorbell switch closes the circuit of the 240VAC supply. Usually doorbells are supplied with step down transformers 240/24 VAC and its the 24 VAC which is connected to the switch for safety reasons. An easier solution from the IC is to use a relay to sense the switch and dive the appropriate signal to the PIC. However, be careful to include a de-bounce code in the PIC program (if needed) because relay conducts bounce for a few ms before they set down to a stable state when the relay is used.