Help naming a particular contact type

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by doby, Jun 13, 2015.

1. doby

Thread Starter Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I'm looking for the name of a contact type that would connect an x and y axis to a continuously revolving z axis. I'm guessing it would use offset wiper contacts on the z axis wiping along 2 circular contacts on x and y but I'm having no luck with googling.

They must exist, surely?
  2. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    A wiper on a revolving z axis, will sweep out a plane, where any line on that plane which passes through it's origin (location where the z axis passes through the plane) is orthogonal to the z axis. This likely is the plane defined by the x & y axis.

This is a long winded introduction to the question what do you mean by contacts on the x axis and y axis?
  3. MaxHeadRoom

Jul 18, 2013
    What environment is this? servo? Motion control?
  4. doby

Thread Starter Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I'm having real difficulty finding the right terminology to describe it, either that or I'm having a mind block!

I'll put it into a situation.. Imagine i want lights on the wheel of a car and it needs to be powered from the car battery, having a battery on the wheel itself isn't an option. I obviously cant use wires to connect between the axis and the wheel because the wheel needs to rotate more than 360 degrees. Therefore i need some sort of contact adapter(?) that will keep the lights connected whist the wheel is turning. (This isn't actually what i want to do but its the same premise).
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  5. paulktreg

Distinguished Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Do a search on "slip ring". Is this the sort of thing you're after?
    doby likes this.

Nov 30, 2010
    The way I see it, you either need a slipping brush like what's inside an alternator, or an induced current made with two coils that are spaced very close to each other, like a toothbrush charger.
  7. doby

Thread Starter Member

Aug 17, 2011
    That's it, thank you!