help me !

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by marvellous maria, Jan 13, 2008.

1. marvellous maria

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    hi all...i m new here...and also new in awl of this circuits thing....i have to make my first ever digital logic design project....can any one of you help me out of this 'coz i really dnt know what to take as my first project because i need a simpler one to start with...so do help me ! thnx

2. HarveyH42

Jul 22, 2007
    Kind of need a lot more information. Where are you at in your studies? Need to kind of know what sort of parts you will be using. Digital logic is kind of a broad field. In a high school class, you might be required to use swtches, diodes or transistors to demonstrate basic logic gates. A little more advanced might use 74xx or 40xx chips for counters, flip-flops, shift registers, and so on. Some students come to the forums looking for digital clocks, code-locks, various counters and timers with seven segment displays. Many of the regulars here are using microcontrollers.

This site covers the basics pretty well, and has examples from basic logic gates to CMOS logic chips, and more...

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/gates.htm

3. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    In addition to the link provided by HarveyH42 you will want to take a look at the the logic gates tutorial on here on the AAC website.

I would also echo his comments on the need for more details on where you are at in you studies so that we may better answer you question.

hgmjr

4. marvellous maria

Jan 10, 2008
    well thanks much for ur help..i will check out these links.and well i have just started my bachelors in electronics engineering but i havent took digital logic design in my high school so i have no idea how to make all these circuits and things like that,ad i would like to start frm the very begining.

5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    You'll find it helpful to have a simulation tool.

CircuitMaker 6.0 Student is a free tool that's no longer supported by it's authors (they've moved on) but you can download it here:
    http://my.ece.ucsb.edu/bobsclass/2C/Simulation/circuit_maker.htm

You can simulate a fairly decent variety of TTL and CMOS circuits, besides a selection of analog devices. However, you can't add to the library nor create macros. It is what it is.

6. marvellous maria

Jan 10, 2008
    thnx for ur help....can u help me in basics of circuit making....i mean what should i start with....should i start with some alarm system or something like that...please help me in making circuits and projects i don't know anything about it !

7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Maria,

I suggest you get one of these:
    http://www.radioshack.com/sm-electronics-learning-lab--pi-2102913.html
    It will be a well-spent $65, and you will have lots of projects to work on and step-by-step instructions to follow. Forrest Mims did a great job on that lab.
    You will also need six "AA" batteries to provide power.
    I suggest getting NiMH batteries and a charger for them.

8. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
  9. marvellous maria

Jan 10, 2008
    well sgtwookie the thing is that i m not from USA so i have no means to get that radioshock thing that you told me so what should i say...