help me with microcontrollers and other electronics devices for my projects

indianhits

Joined Jul 25, 2009
Hello i am doing a project using microcontrollers.so basically i need this microcontroller to control the flow of electricity in wall sockets.so i need this microcontroller to control the flow and would also want to calculate the total power consumed per wall sockets.Here i may use 2-3 wall sockets for prototype and i am using computer to control the flow i am also using a wireless Router to communicate with the microcontroller.i want to turn on/off the supply to the socket by using relays using computer like when i enter 0 it must turn off and when i enter 1 it must turn on the supply to socket.so anyone pls tell me wat kind of microcontroller should i use to control the flow and how can i communicate with the microcontroller using a wireless router

please help me need to complete this project within March 1st week.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Can't help you much with a µC, but look up SSRs (Solid State Relays). They require very little drive to control house current.

An added benifit is you don't need to actually connect the AC line until you are finished, since the SSR uses an LED/optocoupled TRIAC. Just use a conventional LED to simulate it until you get it finished.

1 Month isn't a very long time to learn µC. You have a steep learning curve ahead of you.

indianhits

Joined Jul 25, 2009
can you please tell me more detail on SSR's because i am new to this.i need a small DC voltage to close the switch and allow a 240v to the wall socket.how can i do this

GirishC

Joined Jan 23, 2009
Alternatively you can use TRIACs with optocouplers to isolate uC from AC leaking in to uC. The advantage of TRIAC would be efficient way controlling power to load. Following would be the steps:

1. Have zero crossing circuit implemented. Fire the TRIAC at zero crossing.
2. Have snubber circuit across the TRIAC to protect it from inductive load
3. You can measure current flowing in to your load. Have very low value and high watt resistor in series. Measure voltage across it convert it to frequency. This freq is directly proportional to your current. With this you can calculate VA rating for your load.

I assume this didn't confused you a lot...

bluebrakes

Joined Oct 17, 2009
wow! you've got to learn before you can even begin this project.

Personally I would break it down into stages. Learn how to control the sockets using a microcontroller via relays. Then consider how you are going to measure the power consumption.

Connection via wireless router... most people would struggle with that. Have you thought about other alternatives?

indianhits

Joined Jul 25, 2009
sorry for no reply as my net package was expired but now it is fine for a month.

@bluebrakes
thanks for the reply.I really need to do this project using wireless routers there is no restrictions but i want to do this without using any transmitters.by the way i was going through the forum and found this link from one of the topic

http://www.sics.se/~adam/uip/index.php/Main_Page

i think this is useful to me.now i think i should use this opensource software embedded into the microcontroller.am i correct

please help if i am successful in this project i will learn many things..

thanks!
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/member.php?u=63428

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you try to do too much you will spend a lot of money and not get it done.

You need to break this up. What kind of electronics eduction do you have?

AC is a very different subject than µC, both require lots of study.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
sorry for no reply as my net package was expired but now it is fine for a month.

@bluebrakes
thanks for the reply.I really need to do this project using wireless routers there is no restrictions but i want to do this without using any transmitters.by the way i was going through the forum and found this link from one of the topic

http://www.sics.se/~adam/uip/index.php/Main_Page

i think this is useful to me.now i think i should use this opensource software embedded into the microcontroller.am i correct

please help if i am successful in this project i will learn many things..

thanks!

There are a lot of embedded OS's out there for uc's, there are some uc kernels also like this one >>http://micrium.com/page/products/rtos

There is also the Stick-OS for the UBW32 module that works with Microchips Pic32MX uc family.....

Microchip also provides file stacks for TCP/IP, UDP Sockets, SNMP and also for DHCP..... these file stacks will enable your project to connect to the web even through a wireless router......

My .02

indianhits

Joined Jul 25, 2009

i just need to use AC only on the relay other than that its DC voltage.i don't know which UC to use in here.its just a mini project which will help me to understand digital communication along with a bit of electronics.i am engineering 2nd year student and currently studying electronics and communication engineering.i know its a bit early but i really love to do all this things.so please help..

So you guys are telling me to use a transmitter separately to send a data to this device using computers

What do you guys think i should use Wireless Router or a transmitter.i really wanted to use Router.but since you guys are telling i am really confused what to do???

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Actually we're not telling you anything, but to help we have to be able to communicate. I have some background in computers, very little in µC. I'm concerned that you haven't written code for a µC, and don't realize how steep a learning curve you're about to climb, especially if you're dealing with communications protocols in addition to all that.

With a PC most of the hard software is written, this much I do know.

Since I am not familiar with EU standards of AC I can't judge your schematic well, never having messed with the socket schemes. I can tell you the SSR should be second component off the hot wire, right after the fuse or breaker. There is no plus in AC, it is a meaningless designation, but there is hot and neutral.

indianhits

Joined Jul 25, 2009
should i use a 8051 and can i use a single UC to sending & receive data and also calculating the power flowing through each socket

or should i use 2 UC.One for sending & receive data and other for calculating the power flowing through each socket

please help me!!!