Help me to understand transformer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by dante_clericuzzio, Mar 28, 2016.

1. dante_clericuzzio

Thread Starter Member

Mar 28, 2016
    I am totally a newbie in electronic and i have research quite extensively regarding transformer but still i couldn't really get the exact answer for my needs. I have this transformer taken out from a printer power supply and it reads like this

240v:6v~2A

From what i have read this is a step down transformer from 240v to 6v at 2 amp current. What i want is to use this transformer on the reverse direction and as a step up transformer but i don't know if this is possible. And some of the other question i have as follows

1. How to connect it to the battery in order to allow continuous current flow?
    2. There are 4 legs on the transformer which one should i connect to the positive and negative of the battery?
    3. Why won't it work when using battery?

There was something that i read on the net it needs alternating current (AC) to power this transformer how do i get the simple AC source can the PC power supply do it? and if this does where should i connect the positive and negative of the transformer?

This is the picture of this

20160328_192307.jpg
    20160328_192332.jpg

2. blocco a spirale

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 18, 2008
    From your extensive research (which I assume must have included googling the phrase "how do transformers work") you will know that transformers only work with AC. Batteries are DC and connecting one to the transformer will only drain the battery and heat the transformer.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  3. dante_clericuzzio

Thread Starter Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Is it possible to make a battery to an AC or what power source can supply AC can the computer power supply do it?

4. blocco a spirale

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 18, 2008
    All batteries are DC, is the computer power supply output AC or DC?

It is possible to add electronics between the battery and transformer to convert the DC to AC, these devices are called inverters.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Just read the text on the transformer again.
    It says 6 Volts at 0.2 Amps.

To drive the transformer you will need an AC voltage.
    A PC powersupply will give DC and can not be used directly.

Bertus

6. dante_clericuzzio

Thread Starter Member

Mar 28, 2016
    How do i get an AC power source? the simplest one that i can easily find?

7. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  8. dante_clericuzzio

Thread Starter Member

Mar 28, 2016
  9. dante_clericuzzio

Thread Starter Member

Mar 28, 2016
    I've this questioned myself using transistor and some other component to turn the battery DC into AC and make 3 volt DC 500 volt AC. But i have to thanks all for the ideas given earlier that make me lead to this answer