Help me to make my robot follow me

Abdo_pc_dr

Joined Apr 3, 2010
I'm a BCS student working in my graduation project & I'm asking about a system or a sensor that can help me to make my robot follow me.
I'm using microchip micro controllers.
Can anyone help me please with theory or circuit of that system.

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
How about using a Thermal sensor?
Just throwing this idea out there. I have no experience in how to implement this, but hopefully others do.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I have seen a project where the designer used video processing to identify a red RC car and had his robot follow it. Of course, you'd have to wear red pants...

I am curious. How fast will you be going? How close will the robot follow? What type of robot is it (biped, rover, hexapod...)? What type of payload can it carry?

A block diagram of what you want to do is a good place to start as well.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Two LED IR emitters, one on either side of you, emitting a different IR frequency as well as digital code, the code for ID and IR frequency for intensity.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
An RF transmitter in your pocket, and an RF field strength sensor on the robot.

Or you could tie a string to it.
I that an rf transmitter in you pocket or are you glad to see me?

I was going to suggest the string idea but I thought it was pretty low tech. ;)

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
If you want to go more in depth, you could go the image processing route. OpenCV is a pretty good place to start. You'd have to get it to identify you in a single rotation, then get it to track you in all possible rotations after that.

The Ir beacon is the easiest, though, I think... the triangulation would be easy...