help me on noise reduction

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by meijaz, Nov 20, 2009.

1. meijaz

Thread Starter Member

Nov 20, 2009
    My modem was connected to a phone line. Due to some reasons I had to change the route of its connecting wire from the pole. This route is about 50 feet longer than the previous one. I am using double core unshielded cable.

My problem is: due to this route now the connection speed has reduced to half. I think that this is due to noise, it has increased due to the increase in the length of the wire.

Please suggest me any method or circuit such that without changing this route I can reduce the noise and eventually restore the speed And please tell me any method to connect the connections such that very low noise enters. Tell me if further info needed.

Thank you

2. StayatHomeElectronics

Sep 25, 2008
    Are you saying that you changed the wiring from the outside pole to your house?? That is typically the domain of the phone company...

Inside the house it is typical to use a twisted pair cable, I think a CAT3 cable is fairly inexpensive these days. The twists in the wire help reduce the noise.

3. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    Contact the phone company and have them fix your line.

4. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    This is the year 2009. Do some people still use a modem on a phone line?

I have used high speed cable internet for years. It is so much better than dial-up.

5. StayatHomeElectronics

Sep 25, 2008
    There must still be money in it, there are still those that provide the service.

I have a modem connected to a phone line that I use to FAX stuff from my computer. But, that rarely happens anymore...

6. meijaz

Thread Starter Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Thank you very much. Actually its within the house, I meant that it was coming from a pole. I got your solution.

Moreover, I have heard that connections act as antennas and get noise. Can you suggest what type of connections should I make :confused:. I can solder, I can use a contactor having screws to tight, I can use any type of connectors to make a connection but what will be the best?

7. meijaz

Thread Starter Member

Nov 20, 2009

Yes you are right DSL and dial up have no comparison.

These don't depend on the year but the need.

8. meijaz

Thread Starter Member

Nov 20, 2009

I got ur point. Now please tell me how to make connections such that there is low effect of noise. I can solder, I can use contactors, I can use any type of jacks but tell me which is the best?

9. StayatHomeElectronics

Sep 25, 2008
    Sorry for the delayed response, I went out of town for the Thanksgiving holiday.

My first thought is to swap the two telephone wires, tip and ring, for your connection. Reversing them may affect your modem connection speed while not interfering noticeably with the voice communication.

For analog modem communications, the wires can be soldered or twisted together or many other connections. Keep the connection area small.

This is a very common distribution panel for telecommunications systems.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

The wires are forced into the connections by a special tool. I may be a bit much for your setup.

10. meijaz

Thread Starter Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Thank you very much.

11. rjenkins

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 6, 2005
    Make sure you use 'proper' telephone cable - eg. a twisted pair, not bell wire or one of the nasty flat telephone extension cables.

Alternatively, use a single pair in cat5 ethernet cable, that should work as well.

Also try to ensure there are no branches (like to other phone extensions) off the cable.

If the wiring is done properly, a 50 ft extension should have no more effect than the house being 50 ft further from the telephone exchange.

12. meijaz

Thread Starter Member

Nov 20, 2009

Thank you. There is one branch. Moreover can a coaxial cable do the job?

13. rjenkins

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 6, 2005
    Hi,
    coax would be OK if it went all the way to the telephone exchange ;)

The idea is to minimise discontinuities in the wiring to the modem, avoiding any changes of impedance or matching.

Good quality twisted-pair telephone cable, or ethernet cable, are your best bets to minimise losses & distortion, whether for dial-up or ADSL.

Don't be tempted to use multiple cores to lower the resistance, this will almost certainly make things worse. Just use one twisted pair.

14. meijaz

Thread Starter Member

Nov 20, 2009
    This is what all I needed. Thanks! you solved my problem.