Help Me ID these plugs please- i need to buy new

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by slimwadey, Aug 31, 2015.

1. slimwadey

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I Have a Joystick and throttle made by Saitek, while its a pretty good stick it suffers from VERY poor build quality, half the buttons on the throttle stopped working.
    I decided to investigate and found that a set of 14 wires that run from the main PCB to inside the throttle were either broken or damaged in some way, so i want to replace them and with a better quality wire if possible, problem is i cant identify the plugs that are on the ends , both are 14 wire plugs 2x 7 rows of each . i have done a little research and measured the pitch of the plugs (distance between the centres of the holes) and they are 2mm , all the plugs are 4mm in thickness

the other plug is 2x4 but is the same pich and identical in type as the other, 4mm thick
    If anyone can give me a name for the plugs so i can visit my local RS Components to get new

This is the HOTAS
    [​IMG]

These are the broken wires in the throttle

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    These appear to be a very common connector. Before I recommend a replacement, could you measure the distance between the pins. I suspect that they are .10 inch or 2.54 mm. Please confirm the distance.

3. slimwadey

Aug 31, 2015
    Thanks for the reply, distance between centres of pins is 2mm

4. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Look at the whole connector body with a magnifying glass to see if there is a manufacturer name, logo or part number molded into the side or top of the connector.

5. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Go to Digikey.com, and do a parametric search using that pitch, and number of pins. If they have it, I'm sure you'll find them quickly

6. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
  7. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
  8. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    But it's not made of white plastic. Probably won't work.:)

GopherT likes this.
  9. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Thats racist :p

GopherT and shortbus like this.
  10. slimwadey

Aug 31, 2015
    Thanks for the replies,
    The specs for that plug are slightly off, my plugs are only 14mm long for the 7way, these are a little long, I'm off to an electronics supplier here in the UK tomorrow and will keep you updated, looking at the wires needed has brought me to the tool needed to crimp on the connector, in UK the tool is a minimum of£400! moving it way out of my price range
    I may have to send the hotas back if it's going to be this expensive

11. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    You can crimp with regular pliers (needle nose works great) if needed..

You can also just solder directly to the board and get rid of the connectors :) even if SMT.. Then hot glue over it for strain relief and voila..

If you must have the connector I'd start looking on either
    Molex
    or
    http://www.jst.com/home21.html
    or
    Hirose
    or
    TE

cmartinez likes this.
  12. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Unless they were made in Mexico... then they'll work twice as much for half the price... Emoji Smiley-51.png

shortbus and GopherT like this.
  13. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    If the connectors work that hard, how would you regulate the voltage?

cmartinez likes this.
  14. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    I meant to say twice as long.... but you don't want to bring regulations into the conversation... we have far fewer :p ... though that's not always an advantage, I must admit... :oops:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    GopherT likes this.