Help Me ID these plugs please- i need to buy new

slimwadey

Joined Aug 31, 2015
I Have a Joystick and throttle made by Saitek, while its a pretty good stick it suffers from VERY poor build quality, half the buttons on the throttle stopped working.
I decided to investigate and found that a set of 14 wires that run from the main PCB to inside the throttle were either broken or damaged in some way, so i want to replace them and with a better quality wire if possible, problem is i cant identify the plugs that are on the ends , both are 14 wire plugs 2x 7 rows of each . i have done a little research and measured the pitch of the plugs (distance between the centres of the holes) and they are 2mm , all the plugs are 4mm in thickness

the other plug is 2x4 but is the same pich and identical in type as the other, 4mm thick
If anyone can give me a name for the plugs so i can visit my local RS Components to get new

This is the HOTAS

These are the broken wires in the throttle

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
These appear to be a very common connector. Before I recommend a replacement, could you measure the distance between the pins. I suspect that they are .10 inch or 2.54 mm. Please confirm the distance.

slimwadey

Joined Aug 31, 2015
These appear to be a very common connector. Before I recommend a replacement, could you measure the distance between the pins. I suspect that they are .10 inch or 2.54 mm. Please confirm the distance.
Thanks for the reply, distance between centres of pins is 2mm

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Look at the whole connector body with a magnifying glass to see if there is a manufacturer name, logo or part number molded into the side or top of the connector.

slimwadey

Joined Aug 31, 2015
Thanks for the replies,
The specs for that plug are slightly off, my plugs are only 14mm long for the 7way, these are a little long, I'm off to an electronics supplier here in the UK tomorrow and will keep you updated, looking at the wires needed has brought me to the tool needed to crimp on the connector, in UK the tool is a minimum of£400! moving it way out of my price range
I may have to send the hotas back if it's going to be this expensive

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
You can crimp with regular pliers (needle nose works great) if needed..

You can also just solder directly to the board and get rid of the connectors :) even if SMT.. Then hot glue over it for strain relief and voila..

If you must have the connector I'd start looking on either
Molex
or
http://www.jst.com/home21.html
or
Hirose
or
TE

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
If the connectors work that hard, how would you regulate the voltage?
I meant to say twice as long.... but you don't want to bring regulations into the conversation... we have far fewer :p ... though that's not always an advantage, I must admit... :oops:

Last edited: