Help me, I will pay :)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by nebachdnezzar, May 19, 2008.

1. nebachdnezzar

Thread Starter New Member

May 11, 2008
    Hello people
    Well my daughter is doing systems and control technology for her exams. And she needs help making a circuit, she asks me but i dont have a clue, but obviously i am not going to tell her that :) i need help making the circuit i will be willing to pay someone £10 via paypal or something if they tell me how to make the circuit, £20 if they give me diagrams and a step-by-step. The circuit she needs to make is basically this.

The input needs to be a battery of any type available from UK stores, so i am thinking AA, AAA, C, D, PP3. and the outcome needs to be AC Current at between 110V to 220V, 50 - 60 Hz and 120ma.

I need to know how to make it and what components i need to buy. I am guessing that batteries give direct current so i need to convert it to AC, i dont know how. Please someone explain, i am wiling to pay if it takes you time to draw diagrams and other stuff, thank you in advance

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Perhaps the best place to post this request is in the Homework section by her. I suspect it will get a much more favorable reaction without the offer of money too. John

3. nebachdnezzar

May 11, 2008
    I do want to but she asked me and i dont want to look stupid

4. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    Do not think of batteries like AA, C, D ...
    The specifications call for about 35 Watts.

A motorcycle battery would be better.

A ~35 watt transformer from 220VAC to ~12VAC used in reverse will take a couple of power driving tansistors to drive it.

An oscillator to drive the power transistors should be another stage to build:
    Oscillator->power transistors->transformer-> AC output

5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    How do you think she would feel if she knew you were offering money?

Presumably she uses the internet and may be reading this as we write.

Have you considered that telling her she has progressed past your knowledge is a compliment to her, not an admission of failure by you? Our children should accomplish more. We lead the way, but at some point, I hope they pass us. John

Edit: Let me add that without knowing the answer, it is still possible to help her find it. That is better for her and gives you an opportunity to work with her.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  6. nebachdnezzar

May 11, 2008
    Why can you people not just help me instead of giving me a lecture:(

7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008

Because your request is not logical. John

8. nebachdnezzar

May 11, 2008
    Fine then i will ask her to post this on the homework area, then will you guys answer? please

9. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I am sure she will find many of the members on this forum very helpful. John

10. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    The whole idea of going through school is to get an education, and to receive credentials attesting to that education.

If one pays someone else to do the work, knowledge has not been gained, and that cheapens the value of the credential.

I will assume for the moment that your daughter is of high morals, and would be outraged by your attempts to pay for a complete solution.

If your daughter comes on here, posts in the Homework Help section, says what she wants to do, shows what work she's done and asks for help, she'll be helped.

If she shows up clueless and hasn't even done so much as a Google search on the subject, she will receive much less in the way of help - except to do more research, and come back when she has more specific questions.

This isn't so much a lecture as an introduction to the protocol of these forums.

If you can show that you've tried hard so far and you're "stuck", people will be more than willing to help out.

Give a person a fish, and they'll eat for a day.

Teach a person to fish, and they'll sit in a boat drinking beer all day. But at least they'll have lots of fish at the end of the day to go with the empty beer cans.

11. recca02

Apr 2, 2007
    The only two ways I can recall right now is.

Driving a DC motor with DC and couple it to drive an AC motor. Perhaps some sort of PWM can help control the output of AC motor. Not an efective method though.

Other method is to construct an inverter. Use of IGBT (will MOSFETs work?) would be better. Google Inverters to read how they work. If you can not find that, let us know. Again, PWM will control the Voltage. The speed of the sequence of IGBT operation will change the frequency.

Nobody is lecturing you here, there is no need to make an offer for payment. However, it might be a good idea to stick to this thread and learn whatever you can, later, try explaining the same to your daughter which will help you in understanding it even better.
    Perhaps you should not tell her that you do not know but do ask her to look up on inverters. May be she will end up on this thread and mention while dinner "did you know I saw a concerned dad asking for help.....?" :)
    Good luck.

12. jhmichael25

Jan 30, 2008
    This sounds very wised and I thank you for your wisdom. That is what I would have said, in different words of course. Two men can think the same but not using the same words. Yea, spot on