help me find these banana plugs

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by elimenohpee, May 29, 2011.

1. elimenohpee

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 26, 2008
    So I'm converting an old power supply to a work bench with easy access to 5V, 3V, and 12V rails. My only problem at the moment is finding the plugs the banana cables will fit into. Here is a link to the project I'm doing:
    http://www.mbeckler.org/powersupply/

I believe these connectors are called binding posts? Will these work?
    http://www.newark.com/cliff-electronic-components/tp1-red/terminal-4mm-panel/dp/75R3344
    I do not know the size of banana plugs, so I just wanted someone who has possibly worked with these before to check and make sure I have the right component picked out.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I think they will work, but "I think" isn't good enough when considering the $20 handling fee. I suggest you use the "ask a question about this product" just above and to the left of the picture.

3. TBayBoy

May 25, 2011
  4. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
  5. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    Almost certainly you want the standard 4 mm banana jacks. Space them at 3/4" (19 mm) and you can then use e.g. BNC to dual banana adapters to let you use coax cables if you want. There used to be smaller mini-banana plugs, but I haven't seen any in many decades. Other sources are Pomona Electronics (bought by Fluke) and Cal Test Electronics. I prefer to use the dual binding posts so that the 3/4" spacing is a given.

6. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    That's a good point. The other thing I like to see on a banana binding post is the jack contacts NOT buried nearly a half inch below the mouth of the insulation. It makes for a royal peta if using small alligator clips.

7. elimenohpee

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 26, 2008

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Most of my binding posts live without the plastic nut because I use alligators, too. Nobody actually clenches a wire with the nut if they have alligators or banana plugs.