Help me creating arc reactor for iron man using these LED's harvested from LED sunglasses toy

Philip Kim

Joined Oct 28, 2016

I bought this LED sunglasses toy thinking that i can take the LED's out and reposition them to form a circular pattern that resembles the ironman's arc reactor chest piece.
But the LED's are connected by stiff plastic board, and it's not flexible.
What can I do to reposition these?

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015

I bought this LED sunglasses toy thinking that i can take the LED's out and reposition them to form a circular pattern that resembles the ironman's arc reactor chest piece.
White LEDs are not expensive. Electronic Goldmine. 5,000 K color is what you want. "cool white".

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

The stiff plastic board is called flexible printed circuit. The slightly raised stripes under your thumb are strips of copper foil. You should be able to VERY CAREFULLY scrape the paint that covers the copper foil away and solder + and - power to those foil strips just like the two black wires are soldered below your hand.

The foil is too thin to allow you to cut the board and leave the foil - don't try that, it will be bad.

Once you scape the paint off of the copper foil, you must solder + to the correct rail and - to correct rail or it will not work (it will not be damaged but LEDs must have power applied in the right direction).

Looks like a fun Halloween costume - good luck.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
PS - the best way to scrape is to put the LED strip flat on the table and hold a razor blade (utility knife blade) 90-degrees to the table and scrape along the length of the strip to remove a bit of paint at a time until you see bare copper.

Philip Kim

Joined Oct 28, 2016
KakaoTalk_20161029_132259664.jpg KakaoTalk_20161028_180917619.jpg KakaoTalk_20161029_101450918.jpg

I couldn't scrape the paint off and the pieces starting to break off, so I stopped doing that and just 'repositioned' the LED's into a shape to create the shape of the arc reactor. I glued them against a CD and used styrofoam to give it a 3d effect to recreate the shape of the light chambers.
Pretty good reaction from many people! thanks.

KakaoTalk_20161031_153643458.jpg

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015