Help light for exam room

drjsp

Joined Jul 7, 2014
Hi, Y'all.

New to the forums here and hope someone can help me out.

I own a veterinary clinic with 3 exam rooms. We have several helpers that may be in another area of the clinic when I am in an exam room, and I need to summon them for help frequently.

What I would like is to be able to push a button in the exam room, have indictor lights go on throughout the clinic. If I am in exam room 1, I would like to have the indicator lights (maybe a panel of 3) light up for room 1 and the same for rooms 2 and 3. It could be the case where another veterinarian is working the same day as me and he's in room 1 and I'm in room 2 and we both need help at the same time, and we would need to have lights 1 and 2 both come on at nearly the same time.

We also need, of course, to turn off the help indicator light when someone does come in the room to assist us.

It seems like an easy DIY circuit. We had a similar system in our previous veterinary hospital, but I forgot to take it with us when we sold the building.

Any suggestions?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
how about simply using a paging/walkie-talkie app on smartphones.. I'd bet they all have one. no wiring,etc.. needed

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Inwo's suggestion seems good. You could get three units to give one transmitter for each exam room. The receivers can go wherever you want indicators.

You can power the receiver modules with a 12Vdc (regulated) wall-wort type supply. The relays can power LED indicators from the 12V supply also.

drjsp

Joined Jul 7, 2014
Yep, simple is good. There are three other locations where I would want indicator lights.

So I'd need a 110 vac/12vdc wall plug in transformer to power the relays? Is it simple to wire in an LED to the relays? And I supposed I could use a different color LED for each of the rooms...or maybe have an LED back-light a room number?

It's been a very long time since I've done electronics....I was at the tail end of the go-down-to-the-hardware-store-and-self-test-a-suspected-bad-tube era :D

Yes, I did consider the low-tech flags, but having to open the door and change the flag is about as much effort as sticking my head out the door and asking for help. I kinda like pressing a button and having a staff member appear. Silent...efficient....and impressive, LOL.

And I don't have a smartphone myself. Yes, yes, I know this is the 21st century.....

drjsp

Joined Jul 7, 2014
Relays can connect to any annunciator system.
Annunciator system meaning like a light or a chime/buzzer? I took electronics 35 years ago in high school and you'll have to excuse my lack of familiarity with terminology. I do remember, though, "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly" for resistor band colors, but don't remember if Bad or Boys is black or brown or vice-versa.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
We were taught "black bastards" which neatly clarifies the position of the "black" code to 0.

But that was a lot of years ago when people weren't crucified for using words that so called "liberals" didn't like.

Maybe you could remember it as "African American bastards" to avoid offending anyone.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
We were taught "black bastards" which neatly clarifies the position of the "black" code to 0.

But that was a lot of years ago when people weren't crucified for using words that so called "liberals" didn't like.

Maybe you could remember it as "African American bastards" to avoid offending anyone.
I think you missed on that goal. :rolleyes: So I guess it safe to say you aren't one of those bleeding heart "liberals".

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Annunciator system meaning like a light or a chime/buzzer? I took electronics 35 years ago in high school and you'll have to excuse my lack of familiarity with terminology. I do remember, though, "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly" for resistor band colors, but don't remember if Bad or Boys is black or brown or vice-versa.
As devices have relay outputs, it's just a switch. Connect whatever you like.

The listing shows similar devices with more channels.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
And I don't have a smartphone myself. Yes, yes, I know this is the 21st century.....
So buy one.. Its going to be cheaper/easier than any other solution.
There are also numerous paging systems out there. I'd expect you at least have a multiphone system in the office don't you.. I'm sure it probably offers some sort of paging,etc.. or how about computers in each office..

Personally I just don't see the need to "roll your own" when there are so many other solutions out there..

But these guys have you covered if you really do want a diy solution.

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
As mcgyvr said, there are probably existing, simpler, or less expensive options to do the same thing, but assuming you go down the DIY road I've put together some possible display options implementing inwo's solution.

The electronics is straight-forward using the RF module, the key element in this application I think is aesthetics or how you want it to look (vs. how much work you want to put into it).

Options 1 and 2 are the same except the size of the LEDs. Option one uses 5mm LEDs while 2 uses 10mm LEDs. Through-hole LEDs offer a nice, simple display. I've showed four, each a different color, but you could use less.

Option 3 uses a four digit 7-segment display. The height shown is a little off, but close if we use 0.8" high digits. The more common ones are 0.56" in height.

Option 4 is if you want to get real creative and engrave your own numbers using a Dremel or similar. Once engraved, you shine LEDs into one edge and the engraved portion is lit up the color of the LEDs.

These are just some ideas.

We can show you how to wire them, but you will need to solder. Is this something you can do?

Attachments

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Keep in mind that the logic of the board I suggested will only signal one of three.

For more than one room signaled at a time, a six button remote with an on and off button for each room might be a better choice.

Or a four button momentary with external logic.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I think you missed on that goal. :rolleyes:
Thereby making my point. ;)

So I guess it safe to say you aren't one of those bleeding heart "liberals".
A liberal doesn't mind what words other people use. A fascist decides what words other people are allowed to use.

I'm very good at seeing which camp a supposed "liberal" is really in. :)

Apologies to the O.P. for the thread derail.

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
How about a simple box in each room with three LEDs, 1 to 3, switched on/off with toggle switches. Connect the boxes together with 6 core cable (one core unused) that carries the DC supply from the first box powered by a 12V Wall Wart to the next and connect the toggle switches in "parallel". You can install in as many rooms as you like and flicking the 1 toggle for example will light up the 1 LED in all rooms.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
What comes to my mind first is a wireless door bell ringer. A bell has the advantage of calling someone without looking: I can hear things behind me, but I have to turn around to see them.

Systems exist with different chimes for front & back doors, which helps for 2 of the 3 rooms. You can put the button into your pocket; they may have to search which room you are in but help would be on the way.

drjsp

Joined Jul 7, 2014
Yep, soldering is no problem. Showing me the wiring would be great, thanks. Also, perhaps a source for the display?

As mcgyvr said, there are probably existing, simpler, or less expensive options to do the same thing, but assuming you go down the DIY road I've put together some possible display options implementing inwo's solution.

The electronics is straight-forward using the RF module, the key element in this application I think is aesthetics or how you want it to look (vs. how much work you want to put into it).

Options 1 and 2 are the same except the size of the LEDs. Option one uses 5mm LEDs while 2 uses 10mm LEDs. Through-hole LEDs offer a nice, simple display. I've showed four, each a different color, but you could use less.

Option 3 uses a four digit 7-segment display. The height shown is a little off, but close if we use 0.8" high digits. The more common ones are 0.56" in height.

Option 4 is if you want to get real creative and engrave your own numbers using a Dremel or similar. Once engraved, you shine LEDs into one edge and the engraved portion is lit up the color of the LEDs.

These are just some ideas.

We can show you how to wire them, but you will need to solder. Is this something you can do?

drjsp

Joined Jul 7, 2014
Keep in mind that the logic of the board I suggested will only signal one of three.

For more than one room signaled at a time, a six button remote with an on and off button for each room might be a better choice.

Or a four button momentary with external logic.
Any source info for a six-button remote system?