HELP! LED problem

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by e3silversurfer, Mar 25, 2010.

1. e3silversurfer

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Hi there everyone, I am new here and well I came across this site whilst searching for some info regarding a SOT 89 package component.

Ok, let me start from the beginning. I have have got this problem with the rear lights of my vehicle and decided to take it apart to see what the problem was. Before anyone suggests getting a replacement lamp module, I have been quoted £100 to replace it, which i think is over the top.

Basically the symtoms of the lamp are as follows. there are 22 leds on the pcb. When the "taillight" function is on, 2 of the leds do not power on but when then "brake" function is on, all leds are on.

this system uses a off, dim and bright function to operate the OFF, Tail lights and Brake lights function.

[​IMG]

on this image, LD11 and LD12 do not turn on when the Tail light Function is on.

there are 3 chips on the pcd

1) Precision Adjustable Shunt Regulator

[​IMG]

2) Postive Voltage Regulator

[​IMG]

3) UNKNOWN (markings on the case is NA2... thats all :( )

[​IMG]

Does anyone know what the last chip is? would like to hear any ideas and opinion on how to get this repaired. Thank you all very very much :)

2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    it can be done but it won't be easy

3. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    see whether you can clear out the glue and debris so we can take a clear look at the circuit layout

4. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Or is it possible to measure the voltage as in the pic

• Tail.jpg
      Tail.jpg
      File size:
      143.3 KB
      Views:
  5. e3silversurfer

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 25, 2010
    hey thanks for the quick response. what i am doing currently is probing the entire pcb to get a schematic drawing. I will be connecting the unit back onto the car to get a voltage reading from there when i get home tonight.

6. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    OK..tht'll help