Help! LED modules with certain strands going dim??

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
OK.

It may be that the LEDs were run with too much current to make them appear brighter. This will damage them over time (sometimes a very brief amount of time) and they won't be nearly as bright after that.

What are the part numbers on Q1 and Q2? The part numbers are facing the board. If you're careful, you should be able to bend them up far enough to read them, then straighten the leads back out.

How much current does the entire assembly draw? I believe it should be somewhere between 105mA to 210mA; that would be roughly 15mA to 30mA per LED. The 1k resistor will add 12mA-15mA to that. But without knowing for certain what Q1 and Q2 are, it's a bit tough to tell.

Chikan

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It may be that the LEDs were run with too much current to make them appear brighter. This will damage them over time (sometimes a very brief amount of time) and they won't be nearly as bright after that.
That's what I'm starting to think... Based on the type of light output these things have, I had assumed they were the high-output 10mm variety.. Boy was I shocked when I opened up the case and found regular ol' little 5mm ones.. Not even the 4-pin superflux variety either.. They only look bigger/brighter because of the reflector/lens assembly.. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if the manufacturer is overdriving them to make them seem brighter..

What are the part numbers on Q1 and Q2? The part numbers are facing the board. If you're careful, you should be able to bend them up far enough to read them, then straighten the leads back out.

How much current does the entire assembly draw? I believe it should be somewhere between 105mA to 210mA; that would be roughly 15mA to 30mA per LED. The 1k resistor will add 12mA-15mA to that. But without knowing for certain what Q1 and Q2 are, it's a bit tough to tell.
Q1 says the following:
F
E G36
TIP41C (I think.. kinda faded looking)

Q2 says:
2N

It's difficult to see on these poor photo's,but is the mounting tab of Q1 touching the solder joint of the first dull LED?
Nope, the mounting tab is on the upside, facing the plastic back of the module. Doesn't come anywhere near any of the solder points.