HELP!!! Kinetic Lamp Design!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VMagno

Joined Feb 11, 2015
Hello everyone!

I'm new here but I've been lurking for quite a while reading up on good info. Unfortunately I've been having problem with my latest project and can't seem to figure it out, I'm an amateur btw. So this is my project!

I'm building a kinetic lamp, not only do I want it to move but also be touch activated, hence the whole exterior structure of the lamp will be made of aluminum. (First question here; Will aluminum work for touch switch?) Aluminum I'm using is thin sheet aluminum from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MD-Build...lain-Aluminum-Sheet-in-Silver-56064/202091748

So I want this lamp to hang from the ceiling, so I bought a socket:

After that I bought a dimmable light bulb, as I would like to be able to adjust the light intensity of this lamp (one is LED other is fluorescent):

To turn it into a touch dimmable lamp I bought this 3 way touch dimmer to instal into the socket (or so I thought):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-TOUCH-CON...CIRCUIT-KIT-/380916453019?hash=item58b063ce9b

And to set up the movement inside I bought a 10 rpm 12v motor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6V-Volta...429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486e785615

The motor I will later fit with some parts extending to the aluminum sheets I want it to move, but as you can see I (foolishly maybe) just went out and bought the essential parts I thought I needed for this, now I'm stuck on even installing the touch dimmer/on/off switch. I looked up this instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-conversion-of-metal-lamp-to-use-touch-swi/?ALLSTEPS

But the wiring is different on the simple socket I have, just one hot and neutral cable going into the socket, I have no idea what to do with the black cable from the dimmer.

How do I wire this thing to get it to work? Do I need different components? New socket? Different dimmer? I did this abomination which I'm scared to complete much more connect to the outlet:

So this is what i need help on, your expertise would be greatly appreciated!

How can i wire or set this up so that when you touch the aluminum body, the bulb turns on and the motor starts running, in turn moving the pieces I'll connect to it?

Is it possible to wire it so that everything turns on in one go? Do I need separate power for the motor?

Is it possible to make? Would be perfect if I would turn a small light bulb socket to a touch sensor one ready to connect to a metal surface and the motor also ready to turn on when you touch the lamp as well.

This is an ongoing project and will later be fitted with a bluetooth speaker but thats for later :) I wanna get this issue our of the way first.

Thank you so much! greatly appreciate any input on this, I've electrocuted myself plenty already :/

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
No offense..You really should stop before you really electrocute/kill yourself...
the dimmer wiring schematic its VERY clear.. and a great red note about professionals only. :)

VMagno

Joined Feb 11, 2015
I've been told u_u it's cool.

I'll stop wiring the stuff, but how can i get it finished? Would love to just connect the bulb and dimmer with the motor, possibly need a rectifier or switch mode power supply? Should I seek out people from robotics, will an electrician be able to help me complete this project? idk what to do :(

Thanks for the safety tip tho MacGyver ;)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I didn't want to be the first to act discouraging, but all of this boils own to, "I can't read the labels. Can you read the labels for me?"

Of course I can read the labels for you....but I won't.
I would suggest an electrician if the labels are that difficult. You really shouldn't be risking your life with something so obviously out of your league.

VMagno

Joined Feb 11, 2015
Well I mean in terms of wiring the dimmer I got stuck on the black cable, in the label it talks about a blue and a brown wire, I know the white cable goes to the hot wire on the socket and the red to the neutral, the yellow attaches to the metal surface, but I have no more "ground wire" or any more wire to connect to the black one, was I supposed to get a table lamp for this? Is my socket not enough? Or is there a place for the black wire in the bulb socket I got that the label doesn't show?

I can read the label, I don't know much in terms of equipment necessary to complete what I'm trying to achieve, hence I came here asking for help.

VMagno

Joined Feb 11, 2015
Let me make it clear, I'm not asking anyone to do anything for me, I just want to know if the equipment I have is enough to achieve what I'm trying to do, I got told about getting capacitors or a switch mode power supply as a necessity for what i need to make, that's input I seek. I guess my answer to the original post is "get an electrician", I was expecting a "oh you see in your socket the white and red actually go there but the black has to go here for that socket and for the motor i know of this that you can look up and connect like this and work like this, so with that you can achieve what your looking for" :rolleyes: I romanticize to much.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
The diagram is VERY...VERY clear.. There is no need for us to tell you because the picture is worth 1000 words..
Hint.. you have the red wire in the wrong place too.. seriously.. Its show attached to the brown wire in the power cord.. yet you have it to the light socket..

The 12V motor will need a....wait for it........ 12V power supply.

VMagno

Joined Feb 11, 2015
I know the 12v motor needs a 12v power supply, geez if I would've known I would be bombarded by cynical replies I would've never posted, I get the wiring is bad, I even said it myself.
The diagram shows more cables to and from the light bulb than the standard socket I got, the socket just has a hot and neutral. So I'm guessing this dimmer is NOT compatible with m socket? Or there's a way to wire it to the socket I got using all cables?

Also as to the motor I came here seeking a way to power the motor by connecting it to the cable that also goes to the light, hence everything can run as one?

I don't think I'm asking anyone to do anything for me here or to read me the instructions, I need knowledgeable input on the steps I need to take, I got stuck because I have a faint idea on how to proceed with what I got and sought out help. Thanks anyhow.

VMagno

Joined Feb 11, 2015
Back to, "read the label".
The 12 volt motor is labeled, "DC 6 V".
Relax, what i have is a 12v motor, the pic I got is from the net, exactly same model as mine this pic just says 6v, congratulations on that incredible find. Anymore easter eggs you want to point out and rejoice with?

Status
Not open for further replies.