Help - Install a Klaxon 6V horn in a 08 Jeep

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Scott C, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Scott C

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    I want to install an antique 6 volt horn in my Jeep Wrangler which has a 12 volt system. Someone told me it would work on a 12 volt system but it would be louder. I find it hard to believe it wouldn't eventually damage the horn and would like to install a resistor. What do I need and where do I find it? Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Many Thanks! ! !
    Scott

2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    What type of horn is it? Mini-compressor inside? What is the peak and average current draw when it on, or does it have a Watt/VA/Amp rating?

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Antique Klaxons had a brushed DC motor that spun a ratchet wheel (had a series of ramps around the radius, looked something like a small differential gear) against a striker attached to a diaphragm.

An antique Klaxon in good condition might be valuable to someone who restores antique vehicles. You might consider selling the antique and get a modern version designed for 12v systems.

4. Scott C

Mar 25, 2009
    The only information I have is that it's an old Klaxon car horn- Model 12c,, a recent eBay purchase.
    The only other info on the tag that is legible is 6 volts. I did connect it to a 12 volt car battery via jumper cables and it does work. I have searched the net for info on their model 12 c but have found nothing so far.
    Thanks for your reply!
    Scott

5. Mike2545

Mar 26, 2009
    What kind of current does it draw at 6 volts?

6. Scott C

Mar 25, 2009
    Hey Mike,
    I am pretty ignorant when it come to electricity - and horns! 6 volts is on the tag on the horn - nothing about amps. I guess I need to find a source of info about the horn itself. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks!

7. Mike2545

Mar 26, 2009
    Do you have a multi meter with a current setting?

If so put it in series at the highest setting (10A or more) and take the reading.

From there we can extrapolate the resistance needed for a 12v system.

Mike2545