Help indentifying this PCB

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by fabgar, Mar 1, 2014.

1. fabgar

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Hi, I bought this interesting looking PCB this morning on the flee market in my town.
    I've been searching for a while now but I can't seem to figure out what it is.

550D_0981.jpg

I can find the following information on the board
    - There is a ARM STM32F103r8t6 MCU on it

(http://www.st.com/web/catalog/mmc/FM141/SC1169/SS1031/LN1565/PF164488)
    - it has a USB port
    - on the bottom of the PCB there's a label:
    EMB7310 R1
    - on the top of the PCB there's a sticker saying:
    EMB 7210
    336492118 4711

I've searched for these clues but was unable to find anything useful.

It looks like a controller/relays board, it has some relays that can switch 250v/16A, some wire connectors and two fuses. Would be interesting to find out what kind of board this is exactly. Since it has a USB port, might be interesting to play around with it.

can anyone help me figure out what kinda board this is ?

thanks

2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    I would guess a motor controller - from there, you could imagine dozens of devices that would have motors. A multi axis cutting tool, a printer (plotter). I have a friend that makes controllers for automatic car washes - anything could have been connected to this.

It was at the flea market for a reason - it doesn't work, it was replaced with something better, the device with the motors broke or the company using the whole thing went belly up. God knows. Reverse engineering it would not be worth the effort. The path you were heading down seemed better, look for the part numbers. Grab a magnifying glass to see if there are any markings or part numbers you may have missed.

fabgar likes this.
  3. fabgar

Oct 25, 2013
    Yeah, that makes sense I guess.

I was hoping to find a bit more information based on the part numbers, but nothing so far.

The "EMB7310" on the PCB itself probably references to the German PCB manufacturer EMB-leiterplatten but that's all I can find on this number. And I don't think they will give information about a PCB just to anyone. If it isn't a publically available board. There's also a label in German saying "Einkanalig-37/11"

My computer doesn't recognize the board when I just plug it in which I was expecting. So I tried the STMicroelectronics virtual COM port/USB driver for this MCU to try to somehow communicate with it. But that didn't work either.

Another option might be this is a controller board from a car or truck, because it has an automotive blade fuse on it, the MCU has a CAN bus and the relays are working at 24V, and are often (but not only) used in automotive industry. But then again, I find it a bit unusual to find LEDs, buttons and a USB port on these sort of boards.

About these LEDs and buttons though ... they might say something about the boards usage.

There's a reset button and two buttons labeled 'A' and 'Z'. There are also LEDs near the wiring connector labeled again ... 'A' and 'Z' and three more labeled 'B' 'S' 'A' which for some people might mean something. I don't really see it at the moment ;)

4. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    I wrote them an email asking for some info. But since they are only the PCB manufacturer they probably don't know much about the circuit itself. Maybe they can point us to the developer.

Check back later.

fabgar likes this.
  5. fabgar

Oct 25, 2013
    Thanks praondevou, I really appreciate it !

I just wrote to them myself as well though ;) I included some more detailed pics about the labels/pcb number. Hope it might help.

cheers

6. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    there arent many relays for outputing motor controls. possibly some kind of control board for a heating system.

7. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Agreed, it's probably a controller for something simple like an airconditioner or a heating controller.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    It has the right kind of parts for an air conditioner controller, including the automotive fuse that is used on the 24 VAC control circuit and space for 2 more electric furnace relays...exactly the right number. Almost all residential furnaces have 1 or 2 heat sections, but most air handlers come with instructions for having up to 4 heat sections.

fabgar likes this.
  9. fabgar

Oct 25, 2013
    Thanks guys, haven't found the exact board yet (might never will)
    But HVAC/airco/furnace controller boards definitely seem to be the direction to search for.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Try going to an HVAC wholesale company and tell them the truth. You're a nerd and wonder if this fits an air conditioner, not an amateur trying to do amateur air conditioning. They who deal in many brands would be most likely to recognize it.

11. fabgar

Oct 25, 2013
    What ?? Me ... a nerd ? what aaaaare you saying ? :D hahahaha.

yeah, might just do that ;)