help in speed detector

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by useless0, Jan 6, 2011.

1. useless0

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 3, 2011
    We are working on an overtaking inhibition system. So I need to find out the speed of the vehicle in front. From the relative speed we can decide whether braking has to be applied or not. I rejected doppler shift being too complicated. I just thought of ultrasonically finding distance to vehicle at the front and then doing so after some time. If the distance is lesser, it means our speed is more and braking has to be applied. What I need is advice on hardwares I can use and if possible, a circuit diagram. The project is done on PIC 16F873 and software is not a problem, but circuitry is.

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    You may find that the range that an ultrasonic detector can operate at highway speeds is way too short for safety. You may have no choice but to use radar.

3. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Sound waves in an "acoustically impaired" environment, such as highway speeds, wouldn't work with any range beyond maybe 10 feet, 20 at the limit.

The transducer would be at the front of the car, by definition, which is where a whole lot of wind, wheel/tire, engine, and other sounds would greatly decrease the signal to noise ratio. Inclement weather such as rain or snow would take a bigger toll.

Radio seems to be the only option for the speeds and distances you are looking for.

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Are you working on subsonic UAV's or kiddie carts?

How about a little more information, like what sort of distances are involved, precision needed, why you rejected Doppler, and is the ultrasonic method you envision determining distance by TOF or triangulation? Have you considered using laser?

John

5. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    You might possibly be able to use an optical rangefinder system rather than radar. There are some designs aimed at the robotics market that claim to work well enough for vehicle guidance but I'd never trust my life to one on the road!

6. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    One thinks of splattered insects, mud and ice, none of which degrade radar like an optical sensor. The day/night difference in sensing with optical might be a challenge.

7. useless0

Jan 3, 2011
    thanks, now I have to convince my fellow group mates. So, the radar gun using doppler shift as with optics night-time is a problem. i found one one this forum, but I found it highly complex involving DSP and stuff. Anyway could I get something on internal circuitry of radar guns. I've been trying a lot, but I guess not at the right places.

Well, what range is the wave, how much will the transceiver cost.
    I think it is Ghz range. After getting back the wave, we subtract the parent wave from it then ......

8. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  9. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Weirdly enough, there are any number of baseballs available with speed sensors inside. Some say they use radar. Here is a link to a number of such things - http://www.nextag.com/speed-sensor-baseball/products-html

You might be able to dissect out the circuitry and make use of it.

10. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I am a slow reader. Which ones said radar?

Or, was it these that threw you off:

[​IMG]

John :D

11. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Accelerometers + known mass = speed.

12. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Some claim to use radar, some lasers.

13. useless0

Jan 3, 2011
    to buy a product and dissect it is tough. We do not have that much budget. What I want is atleast a description of a circuit for speed detection.

Let's say I use a mixer and get the difference frequency. I guess I could do with an ADC, and then find the frequency of it by some counting mechanism and then compare.
    The problem is that I'm just an undergraduate student with 0 experience (maybe -1).

Will that do.................?