Help in rewiring a power strip

Videodrome

Joined Nov 12, 2009
Hello folks. I had meant to rewire this old power strip a few weeks after replacing the original cable. I finally found time to finish it this evening but I happened to lose my notes helping me rewire everything back to normal. I was hoping to find a diagram online to help but i’ve been having trouble finding anything that I could use (i can't get the search function here to load any results either). Could somebody help me locate where points 1-4 would go in relation to points A-D. Any help that could be given in helping me avoid a fatal shock would be much appreciated.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Thanks alot Max, I enjoyed your wit in the 1980's. What is a case terminal?
For "safety" any non-current carrying metallic parts that may come into contact with live electrical wires during a fault/accidental condition must be tied to the green "ground" wire.
I'd guess though that the metal enclosure its already common with the green wire through the screw/metal frame of each outlet.

A simply continuity test from bare metal to the end of wire A will show if an additional green wire should be attached to the metallic enclosure or not.

I think you need to strip that orange cable back further so the wires reach the terminals? I hope you're not planning on just twisting them together with the wires you have cut?

Case earth terminal is for safety to prevent the metal casing from becoming live.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Just confirming that I agree with Max's map, if you were looking for a 2nd opinion.

Do be careful about making those connections mechanically secure, so that no amount of shaking the strip might cause an unexpected short. Don't just use electrical tape; it can behave badly as it ages or experiences different climates.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I wouldn't use this without a nice thick grounding wire (like "A") connected to each and every outlet.

There is a good reason it is called the "safety ground."