Help In Function Generator

bilalsaeed

Joined Mar 30, 2008
HI.
I m Making a function generator through opamp. I made an oscillator using rc feed back ( Wien Bridge) but the problem that i am getting is either it is clipping the output signal or giving too much noise... what can i do to over come both of these errors !

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Can you post up the schematic? You may be using a design that outputs a square wave. For a sine output, it is conventional to use a non-linear resistor in the feedback, like a lamp filament.

bilalsaeed

Joined Mar 30, 2008
I don't have the soft copy of the circuit...
for the square wave i used a comparator with reference voltage 'o' the all problem is with the sine wave ok i'll try using a non linear resistor.

bilalsaeed

Joined Mar 30, 2008
According to the book 'Floyd' feed back path must have a resistor of half value then the resistor used for inverting leg to make the gain equals 3 for eg if i am using 10k resitor for a feed back path i must have a 20 k resistor connected in series with the fb path and going into inverting leg of 741 op amp

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A light bulb has an odd characteristic, it's resistance increases as the voltage across it (in this case AC) increases. This means that if the AC value of the waveform exceeds a value the resistance increases also, thereby reducing the gain of the amp, and compensating automatically. It is an absolute necessity of this type of circuit, even a little more gain than is needed will cause clipping, which is what you're seeing.

It's why HP got his patent, it was a big deal at the time.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I'm sure Floyd etc says that the gain has to be exactly 3. So your resistors have to be fantastically accurate.

If you make one of the two feedback resistors variable, e.g. by substituting a 47k pot for the 20k resistor you will be able to trim the value to achieve a sine wave oscillation.

However you will quickly discover that the necessary setting drifts with time so some form of stabilisation is necessary.

The correct amount of feedback is obtained from the output by potential divider. This can be varied by using a positive (light bulb filament) or negative (thermistor) or other non linear (FET, Diode) resistor in the appropriate leg of the divider.