Help in Automatic Dustbin Project

mr.harm

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Hello,
My project is about automatic dustbin, which opens automatically when a person gets near to throw rubbish and when the it gets full an alarm turns on.
I need some information on the sensors I might use, so far, I found ultrasonic proximate sensors can work to detect motion around the bin, but the problem is that their output is analogue (not acceptable for microcontroller) and I am not sure if this sensor would sense motion properly, any suggestion? :confused:
Secondly, what kind of sensors should I use to help in detecting the level inisde the bin? :(
the microcontroller I will use is 16F877A,

thanks,

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
It's easy enough to convert an analog signal to something a digital circuit will understand if it's just on & off.

Sensing the level would be a complex and dirty job, about all I can think of is some sort of ultrasonic sonar type distance measurement circuit in the lid.

Might be cheaper to hire a maid. :)

abuhafss

Joined Aug 17, 2010
Once I had a paper shredder machine which was equipped with a sensor switch similar as shown in the picture. The Lever was covered with light plastic disc (about big coin size). When the basket below the shredder machine was filled up, the disc was pushed up, ultimately the switch was pushed up. For your easy understanding, the switch was installed up-side-down.

Unlike the shredder basket which only contained the shredded paper, your dustbin will have different sized derbies. I think you can use larger disc (same size as the cover) which should be hanging under the cover for only about an inch or less.

When the basket is full, the contents will push up the disc at any point and ultimately the switch will be pushed. You can google for more other varieties of switches.

Good Luck..

Attachments

mr.harm

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Guys thank u so much, ur ideas really helped me, the sensor output is readable by the microcontroller, and the (limit switch) is well good in detecting the level of rubbish.

I am facing another problem now:(, I am using a power window motor to lift up and down the cover of the bin & it requires a lot of current:mad:. As I am using the main AC power supply, how can I supply both the ICs and the motor with their rated currents and voltages:confused:?

for motor (min is 3A & 5V) - I tested the motor:rolleyes:

- I used a moblie adapter (500mA-5V) to operate the ICs it worked perfectly but of course it is not suitable for the motor:(

thanks pals :)

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Exactly what I was thinking. As people move to the higher powered graphics cards, and the motherboards have started deriving the processor power from the +12V rails there are tons of the older suppies that just get dumped by the computer shops.

Even an old 250W supply usually put out 25A on the +5V rail.

surendarrk

Joined Nov 3, 2014
Hello,
My project is about automatic dustbin, which opens automatically when a person gets near to throw rubbish and when the it gets full an alarm turns on.
I need some information on the sensors I might use, so far, I found ultrasonic proximate sensors can work to detect motion around the bin, but the problem is that their output is analogue (not acceptable for microcontroller) and I am not sure if this sensor would sense motion properly, any suggestion? :confused:
Secondly, what kind of sensors should I use to help in detecting the level inisde the bin? :(
the microcontroller I will use is 16F877A,

thanks,
i like your project and sent full details to my mail id <snip>

Edit: email removed from post.

Last edited by a moderator:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Surendarrk,

It is not wise to post your email address online. All sorts of crawlers and bots will find it, and suddenly you will start to get spam and potentially harmful email. Better to make initial contact and share such information privately (private message).