Help identifying potentiometers (pics)

ryankenn

Joined Mar 21, 2014
Hello, I'm trying to re-create a mid 90's control for a car audio component of the same age. I don't have fantastic pictures yet, but someone is hopefully going to get me a shot of the trace side of the PCB so I can ensure its put together correctly.

The caps, resistors and phone jack are easily identified. The diodes are all the same but other than I and 002 I can't really make out what they are, and I'm hoping clearer pictures will be able to solve them.

The potentiometers are the issue. I'm not familiar with them at the best of times, but these have me totally at a loss. I don't need exact package, just something that will work in the same way, radial though as I'm going to custom mount them.

From what I can make out the larger is 333F V10KBX2, the smaller 204F V10KBX2. Searching and trying to understand the P/N's I assume they are V10K? Volume, 10K resistance? Don't know how to tell if that is right, or what the range, so I'm reaching out here.

Any links/advice is welcome, and thanks again,
Ryan

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Can you measure them, I would say 10k, although that is a little low for audio, also they are most likely Logarithmic taper (non-linear).
Max.

ryankenn

Joined Mar 21, 2014
The problem is I don't have it, I have to try and re-create it. The company no longer sells it, and won't give me any insight into the build. There is apparently someone on another forum making a copy from one he has, but you never know if he'll actually follow through.

This is a picture of another remote from a lower unit, but its basically everything to the left of the PCB divide in the one I want. Just gives a look at the front of the larger pot.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
"10KB" 10K is 10k ohm, B means linear.

"V10KBX2" the X2 on the end means it is "dual gang". Stereo, two pots in the one package.

I have no idea what the V means but I suspect it is a package designator, for the size and shape of the pot. But it might just be "V" for "Variable", to show the part number is a variable resistor.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
On Friday I bought ganged pots and the clerk at the counter explained that the most common marking for cheap Chinese pots is:

A = log
B = linear
C = negative log (he called them antilog!)

Not seen the last.

ryankenn

Joined Mar 21, 2014
Thanks! Certainly didn't expect dual gang, with only four pinouts in the phone jack between the two dials I wonder why they went that route. The smaller dial has the holes in the PCB for the larger assembly but they went with something small.

I have someone (hopefully) sending me better pics and maybe a measurement, but if they fall through this will help alot.

Ryan

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
A stereo signal requires a dual gang volume pot. :)

Your photo in post #3 clearly shows a dual gang pot with 2 bakelite terminal strips and 6 terminals total.

So do both the pots in the middle photo in your post #1.
:)

kl2mcbride

Joined Apr 29, 2014
Hello if it's the balance control quite often it a was a special pot that the ganged pot were oposing, they had 0 (zero) taper on the first half of rotation 1 from clockwise the other counter clockwise which made them operate at center 0 attenuation. If I could draw a scematic symbal it would probably more clear. just a persecption.